Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony 4x5 conundrum

Ebony 4x5 conundrum

So here's the deal. For years I had an Ebony 23S that I absolutely loved. It was fairly lightweight, super quick to set up and use and worked flawlessly. Over the past few years I had yearned to shoot 4x5s and 6x12 panoramics more and wished that I had instead purchased a 4x5 as I could always shoot smaller formats with roll film backs. So I put the 23S on fleabay and made my money back on it if not more. Well, here's where I started getting into trouble. I found a used 45SU and bought it thinking that it was the "end all" camera. I guess that I was so used to the compact size of the 23S that the 45SU seemed too big and bulky so I sold it and started looking at (and buying) folders. Next on the list was the RW45 which was nice and compact but didn't have the extensive movements of the 23S that I was used to nor the bellows draw that I wanted. So, that went back... Now I'm onto a nice SV45Ti. It's a great camera. But.... Folding it up and getting it zeroed takes so much more time and effort than setting up the non-folders. Also, with the normal bellows it only can use down to 90mm lenses if I want to use any movements. Now I'm starting to think that I should just get a 45S. I prefer the Ebony to Mahogany, and the non-folders to folding cameras in use. I do realize that I'll be limited to shorter focal lengths unless I get the extender back or top hat lensboards.

I realize that I'm pretty lazy when it comes to using a view camera. I guess I've just been spoiled over the years with the ease of use of the 23S. With that camera I didn't have many limitations/issues with lens focal lengths since a 200mm lens is relatively long on 6x9. I have a Nikkor 65SW, Fujinon 90SW, Schneider 135 Sironar N, Nikkor 200M and Nikkor 300M that I'd like to use. All the lenses seem like they'd work fine with the exception of the 300M. Perhaps the 452 extender or a 35mm top hat board would work for using that lens to focus infinity. I was planning on picking up a Fujinon 450C to use with the Ti but realize that it would be impossible to use with the 45S. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold my Fujinon 400T.

Now that I'm done with my confession I ask for your opinions. Should I bite the bullet and "get over it" and use the SV45Ti or should I pick up the 45S. I guess I should've just stopped with the 45SU...

Folding pros:
    - compact
    - more bellows extension
    cons:
    - need universal or bag bellow for wider than 90mm
    - need additional movements for lenses shorter than 90mm

Non-folding pros:
    - use wide lenses without special lensboards or movements
    - very easy and quick to set up and use
    cons:
    - less extension

Your comments, thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Please keep the "shame on you" or "make up your mind" comments to a minimum. Thanks!

Re: Ebony 4x5 conundrum

A Linhof Master Technika 2000 is very easy to set up and will handle your 65 just fine...

Michael E. Gordon

Hi Andrew: we met at Per's Joshua Tree gathering a few years back. How long have you been using the SV45Ti? I have one as well and can unfold it, mount a lens, and get it neutral in probably 15 seconds. Maybe you're just not practiced enough yet with the camera.

For me the SV45Ti is largely an "end all" camera.

I would check with Ian at Ebony about custom making a 45s with longer bellows and extension. Ebony is now making me a custom SLW810 with extended bellows to fit a 450mm lens. I went through Jim at MPEX and he was able to take care of everything.

Hi Michael. I remember meeting you at Per's workshop. I believe you were shooting with a Shen Hao at the time. Anyways, I do agree that with practice I'll probably get much quicker at handling the camera. I guess I just need to shoot with it more and see how it goes.

Randy, I think I'll ask Jim at Midwest about a custom camera. I bought 2 Ebonys from him already so I think he'll know what I have in mind. Is the custom work a big upcharge?

My custom was the same price as the "standard" SLW810.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Reading your sad story reminds me that we all have a cross to bare.
    I see your point though. I think I would give the SV45Ti that you have a good workout and see if it can work for you. They are a pretty nice camera.
    -Rob Skeoch

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ito
    I guess I should've just stopped with the 45SU...
    Hi Andrew, How much time did you spend with the 45su? I love mine and it sounds like it is the answer to what you are looking for. I love the fact that you can leave a lens mounted and keep it ready to shoot in your pack. I keep a 47sa mounted and for the most part focused. It's almost like having a 4x5 point and shoot.

You will already have fairly long bellows draw and the assymetrical movements are always nice to have. I agree ebony wood is the way to go.

Good luck with your quest.

Get a 45S. Get used to cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch
    ...we all have a cross to bare...
    I'd prefer that you all keep them covered up.