Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: where to stay in Hawaii

Re: where to stay in Hawaii

I need to save this thread, it's exactly what I am think of doing someday too (instead of Disney...!!!)

Any flight tips? Might you find a better deal flying out of a West Coast city than trying to arrange a round trip from the hinterlands? I seem to recall flight for $150 from Portland but that was 20 years ago.

No special tips on flights.

Careful about luggage if you fly into Maui. Once my tripod was delayed one day, and apparently this seems to be a frequent problem with flights to Maui for some reason.

We usually try to get a nonstop from Newark. The summer is the off season, so you can usually get better rates on condos around that time, and flights might follow that. Rates spike at the obvious times around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.

There have been cheap interisland flights lately from Go Airlines.

One thing that was a surprise to us when we were staying on Moloka'i for two months was that it was cheaper to ship a car by barge both ways from O'ahu for a stay of 2 weeks or longer (my wife has family in Honolulu, and they have an old car that they don't use very often) than to rent a car locally.

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    Easy to resolve. The NPS site has info.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm
    There is talk of evacuating the town of Volcano, which is close to the part entrance. The volcano is putting out in excess of 2000 metric tons of sulfur every day - the normal amount is between 150 and 200 metric tons. I noticed when I was over in Kona a week ago, that it is very hazy in Kailua-Kona town as well.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...WS01/803270343

Also, from what I have read, the only part of the park open is along the edge of the part, Crater Rim drive is closed. But, this changes daily.

FWIW, I would think twice about going to Moloka'i right now. Moloka'i Ranch just shut down, it was the major employer on the island, and laid a lot of people off. So, things are a bit unsettled there now.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    FWIW, I would think twice about going to Moloka'i right now. Moloka'i Ranch just shut down, it was the major employer on the island, and laid a lot of people off. So, things are a bit unsettled there now.
    Yes, I've been following the news about the Ranch. We'll be there in May after my brother-in-law's wedding in Honolulu and probably again at the end of the summer. They need the tourism!

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Yes, I've been following the news about the Ranch. We'll be there in May after my brother-in-law's wedding in Honolulu and probably again at the end of the summer. They need the tourism!
    I was hoping to go there as well this summer, but I'm not sure right now.

No special tips for flights from my side either - I usually go online and just try to find the best deals possible. Of course booking early is an advantage too.
    I have been to Hawaii several times already, especially to Kauai, because I have a friend running a Kauai real estate business there and I can always stay at his place - lucky me

But when staying on the other islands I often took advantage of some B&Bs there. They are really comfortable and people there are really friendly - I always like to get to know the people when I am in another country and I feel you can do this better in a small B&B than in one of those big hotels.