Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from West Yorkshire! (UK)

Hello from West Yorkshire! (UK)

Hi all,

It seems to be the place to introduce oneself so here goes.

I'm currently living in West Yorkshire, UK, near to Hebden Bridge, although when Fiona and I get married in July we're then moving to Morayshire in Scotland.

I've had a Speed Graphic press camera for a little while, though it hasn't really had a good outing yet. Just splashed out on some sheets of Velvia 50 - anyone know a good place to get them developed?

So far, I've managed to get a few good shots, although I'm limited by space at the moment and don't have any space for a darkroom. Once we move to Scotland, I'd like to set up so I can process black and white film and do contact prints, the only issue there is doing that without spending lots of money on a 4x5 enlarger!

Looking forward to hearing more...

Euan

Re: Hello from West Yorkshire! (UK)

Welcome, Euan.

Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    the only issue there is doing that without spending lots of money on a 4x5 enlarger!
    Sounds like your're a Scotsman at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    LOL!

Welcome, Euan!

Hi all,

the only issue there is doing that without spending lots of money on a 4x5 enlarger!

Euan
    Hi Euan,
    welcome from another newbie. If you want a 4x5 enlarger, they are pretty cheap on ebay. There were several Devere 504s available a week or two ago. I picked one up for £250. They do take up a lot of space though.
    I suppose you could always scan your images. Even a modest scanner ought to give a decent image.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    I'm trying my best, I've got a good Scottish name anyway, even if my accent is a Manchester one!

Euan

Euan
    I'm also in west Yorkshire and often visit the valleys around Hebden bridge to take photographs. Its a really interesting area. If your tranny film is E-6 a good place to go is Leach Imaging just out of Brighouse - 01484 551200. I think they do a good postal service although I've never used it. You sound like someone who (like me) is keeping the E-6 lines alive.

hey Euan - don't forget the definition of a Yorkshireman: a Scot who has had his generosity removed... ;-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hi all,

It seems to be the place to introduce oneself so here goes.

I'm currently living in West Yorkshire, UK, near to Hebden Bridge, although when Fiona and I get married in July we're then moving to Morayshire in Scotland.

I've had a Speed Graphic press camera for a little while, though it hasn't really had a good outing yet. Just splashed out on some sheets of Velvia 50 - anyone know a good place to get them developed?
    I'm in Dundee. Scotland was made for the large format camera. I have a list of shots to go and get when the weather and light is just right (just got some back which i will post when I have been able to borrow a scanner).

I've been using Peak Imaging for E6 (I have the use of a darkroom at the Uni at which I work for B&W). Very good service, fast & inexpensive (a relative term, but less than £2 per sheet, and even less if you send a large number.). They even phoned me up when I managed to fog some film with a red cast to check whether I realised and to ensure it was my fault and not theirs;-).
    They have a web site and seem really switched on.

I haven't tried them for printing. I have used Transpacolor for MF prints and been pleased with the results.

..d

Hi Euan, I live in the right county, Lancashire, but work in Sowerby Bridge in West Yorks. so that trip takes me daily through Hebden. Most annoying place to drive through at peak times but very pretty to look at.

I managed to pick up a 5x4 Durst L1000 on ebay for £50 and that included an 80mm componon plus an old Beard easel.