Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming in from Oz

Smile Coming in from Oz

Hello everyone,
    Thought I'd better come in from the lurking cold and introduce myself - I too have been inspired by the new face of LFPF. My name is Pete Skerys. I live in Melbourne, Australia.
    I've been toying with LF for about four years after 'accidentally' buying a 4x5 Wista tech-field camera and lens for an offer too good to refuse. Since then i've picked up a 5x7 Linhof Tech III (well, practically stole, considering the price), then went mad and won a 8x10 Zone VI on BigPay... Then, of course, there's the lenses... I won't go there, except to say i have recently been bitten by the petzval bug (thanks Jim & Co.). You know what i mean.
    LFPF has been a great inspiration and source of invaluable information and opinion. We're a bit starved for LF talk/thinking down here suffice to say i doubt i would even know how to load a dd let alone process my own sheet film if not for you generous people.
    I love trad. b&w and use Sandy King's Pyrocat-HD. Unfortunately i have been without a (proper) darkroom for the past six months and have found it really frustrating to even think about image making. But I've just set up a temporary space and have a heap of film on it's way from J&C - can't wait to start burning it.
    There's so much to learn and so little time... I love it!
    pete
    BTW: i seem to have acquired a user id that has been used by some one else in the past - can i change this id?

Re: Coming in from Oz

Howdy, Pete.

You have PM.

HI there Pete,
    Im from Sydney Australia and I know exactly what you mean when you say we're starved when it comes to LF talk and activity down here in Australia. You'll see me lurking here evry now and again..
    Feel free to drop me a line.. Im in and out of melbourne every few months anyhow...
    talk soon!
    Enrico.

Hi,

I've been lurking here for years, learning gradually, also in Melbourne. I've taken the plunge into 8x10 and am learning fast. There was a thread here about workshops in Australia which yielded quite a handful of interesting places to learn about LF around the place. The next one is at Gold St Studios with David Roberts in either this weekend or next. I did a workshop with him last year and learnt heaps. Well worth it. When time and money permit I'll do some more. David lurks here sometimes. Have a look at his images over at APUG.

You're mostly right about starvation for LF here in Aus. There is occasionally gear on the Australian feebay (after you've trawled past all the Holgas) and some in Photographic Trader. I guess you've wandered into Camera Exchange on Lonsdale St and compared prices. Lenses and cameras are much cheaper in the US, even after the exchange rate and shipping, so yes, a bit of an LF desert here, but not completely.

John.

Michael Hewson

Living in Brisbane I learnt very quickly that the right gear, at the right price, comes from places like MPEX in the states. I'm visiting Melbourne in June/July and I look forward to checking out the Camera Exchange.

What I'm really keen to know guys is - who in Melbourne does (1) true drum scanning (i.e Heidleberg Tango etc) of 4*5 and uses a Lightjet for printing? I have been to Trannies in Sydney and CFL just north of Sydney - but, I don't know, I'm looking for a better print - I just can't seem to get the print and tranny to align in terms of output I think I should get ... know what I mean?

Michael Hewson

Hi guys,
    It is good to see other OZ LF here. Just moved in to Coffs Harbour from UK and enjoying photography here at the Coffs Coast. Could someone tell me where do you get your 4x5 trannies printed onto cibachrome in NSW or other states. Michael, you are not too far from me, maybe we could meet up one of this day.

Have a good day.

Regards

Chong

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a little fortunate in finding a person (now friend) locally who is very well versed in LF matters (I met him via the Trading Post when he was selling a 45 enlarger). He's been shooting with big cams for more than 20 years and is now looking at building a ULF camera of his own design. He hopes to eventually sell them. If you're interested I'll keep you posted.

I've probably acquired most of my LF gear at the local Camera Market - some fantastic bargains! (ie mint 450mm Nikkor for $450/ minty 480mm apo-ronar $40) But I've also picked up stuff through the Trader, some from Vanbar, John at Cam. Ex., US shops, and 'that' auction site (both local and os - my last lens came from Bulgaria!). Film comes from J&C, chemicals (and paper) supplied by Vanbar or Photographer's Formulary (spelling?).

John: I must say John's prices (@ Cam Ex) are generally very competitive even in comparison with US dealers. At least he's got some good stuff and is willing to negotiate. John is also a lens collector - keep that in mind if you're looking for the unusual/exotic. Trentham is a nice part of the world - I have a friend who lives up that way - if time/money align I'll certainly consider a David Roberts workshop. PM me if you'd like to catch up for a coffee/beer/wine/chat.

Michael: Unfortuately what you're after is a little out of my territory. However, i have heard good things said about Bond Imaging ( http://www.bondimaging.com.au ).

Michael/Enrico: Likewise PM me if you'd like to catch up while you're in town.

Take it easy.

pete

What I'm really keen to know guys is - who in Melbourne does (1) true drum scanning (i.e Heidleberg Tango etc) of 4*5 and uses a Lightjet for printing? IMichael Hewson[/QUOTE]

Give "The Edge" a call. In the yellow Melbourne. They were suggested by Baltronics. My experience is also pretty good. Don't know about your needs though.

another Melbournian, but my 4x5 camera hasn't seen any light for ages. Also, only do B&W so no idea about high quality scanning.

Cheers, Nige

I'm not in Melbourne, but I'm from there. Now in Kalgoorlie, WA, and soon to be in Perth (fingers crossed!). I think I already know some of you from other fora and I've been associated with this forum (in its various guises) since the Greenspun days.

Cheers,
    Graeme