Thread: 600mm Fujinon-C and Fujinon-A gone to China!

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

600mm Fujinon-C and Fujinon-A gone to China!

Oh boys,

One of the 8x20 top most lens I am aiming for, went to China. AGAIN. Pitty, I don't have enough money he paid (2500 US) but, I would definitely buy Fujinon-A. 840 mm image circle, immaculate lens. You do not see them very often for sale.

Boys, we gonna keep these lens here!!! Come on. What do you think about it?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Re: 600mm Fujinon-C and Fujinon-A gone to China!

Be careful what you ask for as it can be a double edged sword. Someday you may need to be a seller and could be be complaining about the crappy prices you are getting for your bearly used LF product. I sold a mint Kodak Master camera a while back to a person in Japan and since he paid the shipping at over $100 and paid in good old American dollars I could have cared less. It was a fabulous price and I was pleased as punch when it was all said and done.

Like the poster that lamented losing a cheaper than retail product because the auction was mysteriously "closed" all I have to say that the market is what it is and you only have two choices. Either pay up or let it go. I paid full retail for my TK 45S extension bracket and my Fuji 600C because I wanted to use them NOW not next year or when I could find one at a bargain price. In the new global market an increase in demand from China or other emerging nations should be embraced with a positive attitude because it will have residual effects on increased film and ancillary product demand (cameras, tripods, holders etc.) that will allow the analog business that many of us want to continue to participate in thrive for many years into the future.

What is your objective and what are you willing to do to accomplish it?

Cheers!

Unless you're shooting at least 20x24 (that counts 99% of us out), that image circle is a waste of time. The 600mm C is a fabulous lens - covers 12x20 with loads of room, costs around $1500 new, takes 67mm filters and is multicoated. Sorry, I'd actually much rather own the 600 C....

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Smile Re: 600mm Fujinon-C and Fujinon-A gone to China!

Michael,
    few weeks ago there was a post on this forum about China users buyinng all dagors and other good lens. I am just following up, the trend is continuing. I agree with you, it is very good for LF photography, new market, prices going up, until a point, I do not have every day 2500 US, today I had them, but I could not bid on it. These two lenses went to one guy only and he paid for both of them over 3600 US.
    I think, the price is little bit high for the A lens, but it seem to be fair to them. You might say that is the market and I agree, but if you are waiting for some lens for a long time, wouldn't you be little bit dissapointed? I was.

Don,
    I would love to have A lens. Actually I do care about 840mm, makes it sharper and they are longer lens, for 8x20, exactly I was looking for, excellent lens for close distance photography, where tilts and swing are very important to keep sharpnes and depth of field as good as you can get. All my lenses are above 500mm and I am using them for 8x10. I prefer to use lens where I am not forced to limit myself because of image circle too close.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby
    One of the 8x20 top most lens I am aiming for, went to China... Boys, we gonna keep these lens here!!! Come on. What do you think about it?
    The lenses have not gone to another planet: they've gone to a land with very deep artistic roots. It's good that people in China can participate fully in Large Format photography. I look forward to seeing the great work that comes of it.

I think it's fair to say that world no longer consists of "here" and "there" any more - if it ever did. Same comment about the "boys" reference.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-May-2006 at 19:33.

You might say that is the market and I agree, but if you are waiting for some lens for a long time, wouldn't you be little bit dissapointed? I was.
    You can feel disappointed all you want but that and $4.00 will get you a cup of Starbucks coffee. You simply had a self imposed financial limit that was exceeded by someone else wanting this lens more than you did. This premise is the foundation of a free market economy last time I checked.

Personally, I would not be surprised that someone in China is going to disassemble this lens to steal its optical properties to reproduce this highly desirable offering. In other words it is very possible that the wanna be lens company was doing the bidding. Lenses are one area that I feel the Chinese are honing their craft to compete and there is no reason that they could not do an admirable job in this area.

Onward!