Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TMAX 100, Using Stand Developing

Re: TMAX 100, Using Stand Developing

My results speak for themselves - a lot of other photographers obtain excellent results with minimum agitation techniques - and there are others who do not.
    Hi Tom. Thanks for sharing your development procedures. I should clarify my position; I too have had success with reduced agitation, and even stand development, but I don't consider Pyrocat HD a good developer for stand development, and have seen all manner of development defects with this developer when agitation is inadequate. Sandy King has related similar experience, and has warned against stand development with his developer, due to the high rate of failure.

King:

Unfortunately this method of development is fraught with dangers and in practice it will be found that some films, especially high-speed films, are poor candidates for this type of development. And even when the procedure works well for a particular roll of film there will often be one or more frames that are ruined because of an air-bubble, bromide drag, or one of a number of other development artifacts that can plague this method of development. For this reason it is essential to test your film thoroughly, and to always make two or more back-up shots of important scenes when using stand development.
    Jay

When I first tried minimal agitation development with Pyrocat HD in tubes, I had problems, too. I got streaks in the skies and increased development at the ends of the negatives when compared to the centers (open tubes in a bucket). A year or so later, I tried again and have had very good results so far. The difference in my technique was to agitate very vigorously when agitating. Before, I had just been sloshing gently - now, I roll closed tubes, or rapidly tilt the container when using open tubes.

That said, Jay, what's been your experience when using Hypercat in some minimal agitation scheme?
    juan

Hi Juan.

I've found that I get excellent sharpness with Hypercat and rotary development, so my reduced agitation experiments have been strictly in the interest of curiosity. I've not tried stand development with Hypercat, but have had good results with semi-stand, although the results are dramatic, and not appropriate for every subject. If I was making general recommendations for Hypercat, I would recommend that testing begin with rotary/continuous agitation, and reduced to taste. I would also recommend a dilution that permits development times in the 6-10 min. range for best grain/sharpness characteristics, and to minimize emulsion swelling. TMX developed in this way is astounding, and in my opinion, a viable replacement for Technical Pan, and according to a friend's reports, Delta 100 is similarly so.

All that being said, I think reduced gaitation schemes, in which the film is agitated every 3-5 minutes during 15-20 min. development represent the best compromise between the safety of continuous agitation, and the dangers of stand development, while delivering the effects we want from reduced agitation. With good darkroom practices and consistent technique, this approach should yield good results with almost any film/developer combination.

If you decide to give Hypercat a try, let me know and I can share my data to get you started on your own testing.

Jay

Jay I haven't yet tried Hypercat, but I have used your 510-Pyro (diluted ) with semi-stand agitation on TMAX-400 120 roll film with good results i.e. - uniform development with no streaks or other development defects.

I was not surprised by this result, since I also routinely develop TMAX-400 roll and sheet film semi-stand in Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat P with good results - i.e. uniform development with no streaks or other development defects.

Tom, thanks for sharing your development routine!
    Jay, thanks for you experience (I have seen your posts over on the AZO forum as well.)

Clearly this will be something I need to test myself and will do so as time permits.

Regards, Pete