Thread: Inexpensive Liability Insurance

Inexpensive Liability Insurance

Until recently, I have never been asked to present proof of liability insurance to do a location shoot. I'm mostly a portrait photographer, but have been doing a personal project where I want to shoot in some well known venues (all private businesses) and one of them said no unless I had liability insurance...issue seems to be if someone trips on my tripod and sues, etc. I'd like to find a way to satisfy this need without breaking the bank, since it's the first time I've been asked, and it's a personal project, not a bread winner (yet!). Ideas? thanks!

Re: Inexpensive Liability Insurance

Since your project is a personal project (not one undertaken as part of a business), why don’t you get a personal liability policy? A one-million dollar personal umbrella policy will be under $200 yearly. Or just use your homeowner’s policy.

In addition to Eric's suggestions, you might discuss coverage options with your agent. Sometimes, property owners (especially smart ones) will require an endorsement that specifically names them. Such an endorsement might not be available under your home owner's policy or an umbrella rider to it.

John, be VERY careful before you use your homeowners insurance. I am speaking as a photographer not as a lawyer or insurance agent and you need to check with yours. I carry both business liability insurance for location work and a 'marine' all risk policy to cover anyequipment dameage or losses.

The problem is that if you file a claim against any perosnal insurance and your insurance company determines that you are a professional photographer ... read make any money from your photography ... they could both deny the claim and cancel your homeowners. Getting your homeowners insurance cancelled could be a real nightmare.

All of this is general and speculative so check with your agent and/or your attorney but please check before you use personal insurance for business or anything the insurance company might construe as business.

multiplex

for years i had a BOP ( business owners policy ) and an inland marine ( "floater" ) through utica insurance company. it wasn't cheap ( around 4-500$ a year ). business owners policies are not legal in some states anymore, but an agent will know all about that.

might cost a little money, but it is the kind of think that is worth it in the long run.

john

Photographer's insurance is a specialty thing. You may wish to also have advertising liablity as well as non-owned / property of others, rented equipment, negative or portfolio insurance, vehicle insurance and more. Often, special vehicle insurance can be needed, as your automobile coverage may not include professional use on location.

Named insured / insurance certificates are the way it is often done, and these usually cost between 50 and 80 bucks per location for a limited time to issue the certificate, once you already have insurance. Some policies do it for free I'm told. Certain kinds of activities, such as aerial photography at low altitudes require more insurance in most cases.

One thing for sure, when actually in a "work" mode, things can and do go wrong sometimes, no matter how careful you are. Injuries or damage can be daunting. Having insurance is more than a formality, it can save your hide.

If you don't need insurance to cover the loss or damage of your own equipment, and if you also get a higher deductable ( if your contract allows it ) and buy annually instead of semi-annually, you can save some money on the insurance. Take heart, the cost per year is not so bad - probably about the same as you could get coverage for just a few days or weeks. The more difficult time might be finding a company to take you in the first place. Many companies are reluctant to take new photographers with no track record.

Some insurance policies will require you to have a contract with the people you do business with in order to be covered. Be sure to read your policy and discuss all of it with your agent, and do not assume that you have coverage for everything you could imagine.

Tom Pickard is a good company in California - they may be able to help you or recommend someone for you, as they deal only in insurance for photographers. Also, look up your resources in whatever organizations you're a member of, such as APA, or at least look at the APA and PPA sites.

Take my comments with a grain of salt - I'm NOT an insurance agent or attorney, nor do I wish to offer professional advice in those areas.

Call Tom C Pickard and Company. I have all my equiptment insured as well as a 2 million liability policy just in case ( used to shoot sports / freelance and had to be covered before even stepping onto the field ). They are very reasonable and not very expensive. I would not use your homeowners policy.

http://www.groupinsure.com/
    Phone: 1-800-726-3701