Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New format is excellent

Re: New format is excellent

Tom, not sure what you mean.... i hit the link, and it showed all darkroom equipment? So can I ony display the categories I am interested in, or must I go to each sub menu and look, then exit, go to next sub menu, again, again... ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bglick
    . . . OH, and how do you change your screen name? In my case, bglick, I see how to change password and email, but not the displayed name?
    We should be able to change that for you through a separate admin interface. Please send us an e-mail through the link below, detailing how you want your user ID to show, and we'll deal with it offline.

http://test.largeformatphotography.i...endmessage.php

Or, you can left click on an admin's name and send an e-mail or private message.

A sincere thank you to everyone who makes this web site possible. It truly is appreciated. I am not if certain this is the "proper" place to raise these suggestions, but I would support a donation to help defray your costs of operating this site and support a % donation for sales through this site, e.g., like APUG. If you are hesitant to "accept" the monetary approach, perhaps such funds could be collected for sponsoring regional seminars to promote large format photography. In any event, thanks again. Jon

Quote Originally Posted by bglick
    Tom, not sure what you mean.... i hit the link, and it showed all darkroom equipment?
    Thanks
    Oops, I guess it only uses the first forumid. I'll have figure out how to include several sub-forums in one search and get back to you. Seems like it should be possible, though.
    Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 13-May-2006 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson
    . . . If you are hesitant to "accept" the monetary approach, perhaps such funds could be collected for sponsoring regional seminars to promote large format photography. In any event, thanks again. Jon
    Thanks for your thoughts, Jon. While we've been keen on keeping this site "free", your idea about a seminar fund is a good one for future discussion.

There was a neat web site that offers you the ability to put a donation button on your site, you hit it, and it asks you how much to donate, connects via paypal and you collect donations. Then, you can even add this to posters title, such as "Senoir Member - Contributor"

I am sure this forum has expenses to maintain, and if it is to remain free, we should all pony up a few bucks... its nice enough the moderators dedicate so much time to the venture...

I agree, it's a little daunting at first to one who is at best only semi-computer literate but I like the layout and the options. Thanks to Tom, Ralph, QT, and any others who obviously devoted a lot of time and energy to it. My only suggestion is that the policitcal subgroup be buried even deeper than it already is. If the occasional political messages that have appeared here in the past is any guide to the future content of that forum, I don't want there to be even the slightest chance that I'll inadvertantly stumble across it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    . . . If the occasional political messages that have appeared here in the past is any guide to the future content of that forum, I don't want there to be even the slightest chance that I'll inadvertantly stumble across it.
    That's easy to do with the "sub-forum view" (what you see when clicking on the "Large Format Photography Forum" link at the top of the page) - one can simply not go into the Lounge sub-forum. Presently, however, all posts get shown in the "unified view". As time permits, we may be able to find a way around that, however.

Another option is to add whomever you select to your "ignore list" via your profile (the "User CP" [control panel]) link.

Very impressive - not just the new format, but the fact that you stuck with your timeline - most of these IT upgrades end up in chaos - this was very smooth. Thanks for all your hard work!
    Juergen

As much as I liked the old forum, I may like this one more!

However, one big problem for me is as follows: The preamble for the email title is way way too long and uninformative.

This is what I can read:

New Post/Thread Notification: The Lou

That's all that is visible. The old way, which started

[LF Forum]

Actually has some information content. In fact, it tells me everything, and it is shorter, and I can often see what the thread is about, because there is some room for the actual title of the thread!

Even better would be

[LFF] The Lou...

I think I can figure out which forum is abbreviated [LFF]. But who on earth can figure out which forum is "New Post/Thread Notification:"? Furthermore, the slash is bad style---not approved by Strunk and White or the Chicago Manual of Style. It clashes to the ear and damages the flow.

In summary, please please please dramatically shorten and change "New Post/Thread Notification:" It is so many letters that it makes the email notification feature almost worthless to me. So many letters, yet so little information!