Thread: Opinion on the 8x10 Wista Field wooden camera

Opinion on the 8x10 Wista Field wooden camera

What is your opinion on the Wista Field double extension 8x10 camera? Good enoug h for a complementary camera to a 4x5 set? Is the 500 mm bellows enough? Thanks!

Thanks Dan. In fact, the bellows is 550 mm.

Jacques Stackson, an occasional poster to this forum has one and likes it quite a bit. You might e-mail her direct.

Since I see my name bandied about a bit, I thought I would contribute my two cents worth to the value of the Wista 8x10. I have named mine Wilma. She is a beautiful camera, the movements are right where I want them. She makes perfect sense to me. I only have two lenses, one 240 mm and a TR convertable. The camera does not have the bellows draw to use the TR at its most telephoto. That is fine with me, most of my work is close, or straight landscape. I have not had difficulty finding accessories for the 8x10. I carry a 4x5 reducing back 5 holders, polaroid back, two lenses, a miriad of things loupe,tape measure, sandwich, water etc. I tried using the recommended Deardorf and a Kodak but they seemed to clumsy and heavy for me. When I die my kids have told me they will bury me with Wilma. Thats fine with me, I'll take her with me into the next world. Feel free to e-mail me direct, I'll answer what I can j

Jacque, thank you for responding "on the fly"! I rekon, your name is not easy to spell right! If I refer to Sean grammatical, you are one of those too rare woman large format photographer a contributor was recently seeking quite desperately! This adds strength to your comment on the Wi sta, I am not an athlete and I love to wander. In fact I saw one on the used market and wondered if I wou ld be happy with it. Now I think I would, except perhaps for the bellows extension somewhat limited. But as I said above, the camera would be a companion for my 4x5 and therefore should not be capable of handling all situations. I might ask you more specific questions. Thanks so far. Paul

If you really like the Wista, you might consider a "can", or extended lensboard for longer lenses. I have fashioned one for my 4x5 Wista that works extremely well. This might give you enough flexibility to justify buying the camera. Regards, ;^D)

Re: Opinion on the 8x10 Wista Field wooden camera

Jacque where did you buy your Wista, I mean Wilma?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque Staskon View Post
    Since I see my name bandied about a bit, I thought I would contribute my two cents worth to the value of the Wista 8x10. I have named mine Wilma. She is a beautiful camera, the movements are right where I want them. She makes perfect sense to me. I only have two lenses, one 240 mm and a TR convertable. The camera does not have the bellows draw to use the TR at its most telephoto. That is fine with me, most of my work is close, or straight landscape. I have not had difficulty finding accessories for the 8x10. I carry a 4x5 reducing back 5 holders, polaroid back, two lenses, a miriad of things loupe,tape measure, sandwich, water etc. I tried using the recommended Deardorf and a Kodak but they seemed to clumsy and heavy for me. When I die my kids have told me they will bury me with Wilma. Thats fine with me, I'll take her with me into the next world. Feel free to e-mail me direct, I'll answer what I can j

Quote Originally Posted by BOX72_com View Post
    Jacque where did you buy your Wista, I mean Wilma?
    We have them in stock so, if you are in the USA, you can order it from any camera store that we deal with (about 900).

Joel Edmondson

I have a Wista 810DX which I have always been completely satisfied with... weight, rigidity and movements as well as speed of setup always met my needs. I use a 10" WF Ektar most of the time but have used 305 and 360mm lenses with no complaints. My most used for several months was a 210 Angulon but I decided to scale back to 4x5 after I retired and just haven't sold the camera because I have been so pleased with it!

from 210 to 360mm is an excellentet camera