Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Epson V750 Scanner

Re: Epson V750 Scanner

Thanks Doug. Knowing the difference between the "film with holder" and "film with area guide" is a big help. I guess for now I will just have to see what size file the software will allow. I want to get the best quality scan from my 4x5 transparencies for a final output of around 300-350 dpi sized to 11x14. I have read that its best to scan original size at a high dpi ( >6400) then to use photoshop to resize. Does this sound reasonable or should I scan to the target of 11x14 at 350 dpi?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Alan, where did you get that info? Epson's FAQ's state: "Yes. EPSON Scan is compatible with MAC OS X 10.2.8 to 10.4.x. and Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.4.4 or later." Could still be that the V750 and 700 won't work with 'em though. I'll let you know by the end of the day as I am going to go hook one up right now.
    Hello Ted,
    I'm a graphic designer looking for a quality flatbed scanner (working with Photoshop and on a Mac.) What did you find out about the Epson V750 and Mac OS 10.4 compatibility?
    Carol Giordano
    209 533-0409

Quote Originally Posted by edophoto View Post
    Thanks Doug. Knowing the difference between the "film with holder" and "film with area guide" is a big help. I guess for now I will just have to see what size file the software will allow. I want to get the best quality scan from my 4x5 transparencies for a final output of around 300-350 dpi sized to 11x14. I have read that its best to scan original size at a high dpi ( >6400) then to use photoshop to resize. Does this sound reasonable or should I scan to the target of 11x14 at 350 dpi?
    You only need to scan at a resolutio that will give you the finished size at 240-300dpi; 240 being perfectly adequate for excellent quality prints. Taking this into account, if you take a size of 12x15, that would mean scanning at 720dpi (3x240) or 900dpi (3x300). I scan at 1200dpi to give me a finished print size of 20x25 and then I temporarily resize the image to whatever size I want to print at. You certainly don't want to use 6400; that would give you a finished image at 240dpi of something around 9ft x 11ft !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Giordano View Post
    Hello Ted,
    I'm a graphic designer looking for a quality flatbed scanner (working with Photoshop and on a Mac.) What did you find out about the Epson V750 and Mac OS 10.4 compatibility?
    Carol Giordano
    209 533-0409
    I am running OS X 10.4 on a Macbook Pro with an Epson V70 - no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    You only need to scan at a resolutio that will give you the finished size at 240-300dpi; 240 being perfectly adequate for excellent quality prints. Taking this into account, if you take a size of 12x15, that would mean scanning at 720dpi (3x240) or 900dpi (3x300). I scan at 1200dpi to give me a finished print size of 20x25 and then I temporarily resize the image to whatever size I want to print at. You certainly don't want to use 6400; that would give you a finished image at 240dpi of something around 9ft x 11ft !!!
    hi
    i have been doing some lambda prints of the size of 40x50 inches recently. and since i have no knowledge whatsoever in scanning and stuffs... i was surprised to notice that my image size was 40inches x 50 inches at 140dpi. according to the dude who did the printing for me, he said lambda only requires 120dpi... anything more, it's basically wasted.

he scanned my 4x5 trans at 1200dpi original size.
    is he telling me the truth? can i get a better quality than that? i saw the print and it was alright... wondering if i can get anything better?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ifer View Post
    he scanned my 4x5 trans at 1200dpi original size.
    is he telling me the truth? can i get a better quality than that? i saw the print and it was alright... wondering if i can get anything better?
    I personally would have thought that 120-140dpi was a bit low, 240-300dpi is more usual, unless you can guarantee that people will be viewing it at an appropriate distance. I had two prints done at 40x32, on a Lightjet photographic printer and they required a 300dpi file; the finished results were stunning!

Your printer is telling the truth that a 4x5 scanned at 1200dpi would be sufficient for a 40x50 print at 120dpi; that is just simple maths, 10x size - 10x scan resolution. Whether the finished result at 120dpi is good enough, only you can tell for the final viewing location. If I were you, I would get a small section of a tranny printed at a proportion of the finished size, in both resolutions, and see whether the extra resolution helps or not.

The common knowledge which one hears most often, is that Epson printers take data best at 360 dpi, or multiples thereof. By taking this base number into consideration (the theory goes), you run the least risk of introducing visual artifacts due to differences in sampling rates: "jaggies" , or "rastering".

If you look around here and on other similar sites, you will generally encounter people who consider that number when sizing an image for sending to an Epson inkjet printer.

In my own tests, at close viewing distances (but not under magnification) I determined that there was no benefit in sending more than 360 dpi to the printer. Some send 720. Perhaps they have better vision than me.

My current scanner scans at 1250/2500 - which are not multiples of 360, but when I send to the printer, I downsize to 360 in Photoshop, presuming that PS will do a better job than the Epson drivers. That may be wrong, but I think it's what you will find that most people do.

As I recall, Canon printers are based on a base number of 300 dpi.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    In my own tests, at close viewing distances (but not under magnification) I determined that there was no benefit in sending more than 360 dpi to the printer. Some send 720. Perhaps they have better vision than me.
    My general understanding is that the desktop printers use a driver that can send 720ppi to the printer; the large format ones 360ppi.

In general, unless you're printing on really glossy paper, 360ppi comes close to the capacity of the ink/paper surface to resolve detail, so you'd be unlikely to see more detail at 720 in most circumstances. But you may well see a reduction in aliasing at 720. Any time you have a straight line, like the edge of a house or a wire, that's almost vertical or horizontal, aliasing can be an issue. Even at 360 ppi, you'll sometimes see stair-stepping in just the right circumstances.

guess the only way to try it is to have this trans drum scanned and at 300dpi, have it printed using the same lambda print at the same size.
    compare it side by side...