Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else discovering Kentmere Paper?!

Scott Davis

Anyone else discovering Kentmere Paper?!

I went on a binge of paper sampling and testing after I got tired of getting green prints from Bergger VCCB in Dektol, and getting mad at Bergger for their pricing changes. I tried the Kentmere, and initially really liked it. Then I did some serious ring-around testing between Bergger, Kentmere, Foma, and Ilford. I tried them in Ansco 130, Ilford Cooltone and Ilford Warmtone developers. My ultimate conclusion was that I preferred the Bergger VCCB (warmtone paper) developed in either the Ilford Cooltone or Warmtone developer, or a split thereof, depending on what I wanted in the image tone. I find the Kentmere to be a bit contrastier at mid-grades than I like, and have had the same problem as other folks when printing it at higher grades.

I haven't had too much problem with the curl on the Kentmere with my regular easel, because it has a locking tab that lets me clamp the masking blades down a bit.

Anyone else discovering Kentmere Paper?!

brian, just eyeballing the contrast. I didnt do any step wedge plotting. I did however make a group of prints using split grade printing and could not get as full bodied a print as I got from the Forte Polygrade using of course the same negative. I was using dektol 1:2. However, after running a series of tests yesterday to find a developer for the Forte, I discovered just how drastic a difference dilution made with regards to curve as well as if the developer was metol or phenidone based. So, I won't give up on that paper just yet. I've seen other recommendations for the ansco 130 and will give that a try.

Re: Anyone else discovering Kentmere Paper?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay
    Kentmere Bromide prints spectacularly with Amidol.

--Garyg
    Gary,
    Which amidol formula are you using? Someone has reported this paper does not work well with M&P's enlarging amidol formula.
    juan

Re: Anyone else discovering Kentmere Paper?!

Kentmere Fibre paper was a great paper. Shame I cant get it anymore here in Australia....