Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience with Epson 9800 vs 7800?

Experience with Epson 9800 vs 7800?

Jonf, I am one who swears by Imageprint. It is worth every dime to me because it saves an enourmous amount of time working up paper profiles etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"Not exactly true. The 7800 became available in August of 2005. The 9800 became available in limited quantities in late November 2005 IF you were already on a waiting list."

My mistake, thanks for the correcton.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

does imageprint really save time, money, and produce better quality prints

Jonf, to answer your first to questions; Without a doubt if you switch between matte and gloss it will most definitley save you money. An ink swap on the 7800 or 9800 is going to discard about $60 worth of ink. An ink swap also takes about 30 minutes as I recall.
    As far as print quality goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". With photography as well as any other expression of art there is no one single answer to anything. Start a discussion about what you think is the perfect paper and see what happens.

My own experience using imageprint is that they make excellent profiles weather you choose to use phatte black set up or not. I started out not using phatte black and after switching to it and reprinting the same images now with phatte black and then putting them side by side I can't see a difference. To me thats pretty remarkable.

I hope you make the choice that is right for you.

Re: Experience with Epson 9800 vs 7800?

Quote Originally Posted by jon fritsch
    Rumor has it that Canon is pricing its new inks considerably lower than Epson also.

Any word if these inks are going to be as stable/archival as the K3's. It seems like epson has a huge head start and that the canon product would be playing catch up. I'd like to be convinced to wait until the end of the year, and see what happens, but there still is that "unknown" varible in whatever canon releases.
    Well, I've been checking and the rumor is unconfirmed. I'm finding ink carts (130ml) for the iPF5000 to have a street price of about $75 USD, which is a little under the equivalent Epson price (110ml carts), but not "considerably lower" as I had been led to believe.

As to longevity, I've read that Wilhelm rates them about the same as the new Epson K3 inks.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Well, I've been checking and the rumor is unconfirmed. I'm finding ink carts (130ml) for the iPF5000 to have a street price of about $75 USD, which is a little under the equivalent Epson price (110ml carts), but not "considerably lower" as I had been led to believe.

As to longevity, I've read that Wilhelm rates them about the same as the new Epson K3 inks.

Bruce,

Thanks for the pricing info on the canon inks.

The Wilhelm website has some preliminary data on the longevity of the lucia series inks, but they still seem to be doing their full testing.

Waiting for the canon might be a bit of a crapshoot, while the know product by Epson is available now. It seems like the canons may be a bit pricey. Of course it is hard to tell what the price would be on the 24 or 44/48 inch models, but it seems like the ipf5000 is priced higher than the equivalent epson.

Has anybody seen any side by side reviews of prints from the ipf5000 and the equivalent epson (by somebody who knows how to print with both)? I was talking with a salesperson at inkjetimagearts, and he did not seem to think that the canon was really noticabely better (and worth waiting for) than the epson 7800 or 9600.

Epson really needs to fix that stupid ink wasting changeover thing. It is just hard to swallow blowing 40-60 bucks on swapping ink. Seriously, in five years everybody is going to be saying, "I can't believe how money I blew on ......" I would have purchased one by now if it wasn't for that.

Still, waiting to see what Canon does may be worthwile.....

Has anybody seen any side by side reviews of prints from the ipf5000 and the equivalent epson :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-ipf5000.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by archivue
    Has anybody seen any side by side reviews of prints from the ipf5000 and the equivalent epson :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-ipf5000.shtml
    No, but I've seen actual side-by-side prints from both... The easiest way for me to share my thoughts on the results are this: No way I am selling my 7800 for the Canon 5000.

Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com