Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Lens Cap Rant

Another Lens Cap Rant

Two weeks ago I received a brand new Schneider Super Symmar 150 XL. I mounted it on a lensboard, looked it over, and then set it on a shelf (sideways, no pressure on either lens cap) because I didn't have time to do anything with it. Today I took it off the shelf, popped off the front lens cap and noticed that the numbers from the inside of the lens cap were imprinted on the front element. Right in the center. They weren't there when I first checked out the lens. Luckily, a couple of minutes with a lens tissue had it looking new again but... GRRR! *scary face* GRRR!

As much as we pay for these lenses, you'd think the manufacturers could supply lens caps that won't damage the lens. Now it seems I'm in the market for a large, expensive UV/Protector filter just to protect the lens from its own cap. Isn't that the dumbest thing you've EVER heard? GRRR! *scary face* GRRR!

Whew! Thanks for listening, I feel better now. By the way, it's a stunning piece of glass. The lens caps, on the other hand...

I'm off to give Schneider a piece of my mind. I hope I have some left when I'm done.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Another Lens Cap Rant

SK Grimes sells a cap machined from hard plastic that is apparently difficult to deform. About the same price as a good filter.

Doug Dolde

Another Lens Cap Rant

But you lucky dog...what a killer lens !

Another Lens Cap Rant

Mark,

Now, tell us how you "really" feel about the plastic lens cap issue!

Just kidding! Actually, I don't blame you for being p*ssed at the manufacturers for the cheap plastic caps!

I think the metal caps that SK Grimes manufactures are amongst the best around. During a shoot one time, a friend dropped a fairly heavy clamp onto the front end of a lens that was standing upright. Good thing I had one of the metal caps on it! [Sounds like a commercial in the works, doesn't it? But, I don't have anything to do with SK Grimes other than being a client.]

I often wonder what would have happened had the cap been plastic as opposed to metal.

The Grimes caps aren't cheap but, IMHO, it's a pretty small investment considering the value of your lens!

And, btw, I agree with what Doug said... you lucky dog!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Another Lens Cap Rant

I noticed something similar today with my 75 SA. Since my last post regarding lens caps, I went ahead and ordered the Kaiser caps from B&H. After putting the cap on the lens, I noticed that there is about a 1mm clearance between the glass of the front element and the lens cap (so it virtually touches the glass). The middle of the lens cap has "67mm" imprinted, and if I even slightly touch the cap once it's mounted on the lens, it leaves a little smudge mark on the glass.

This can't possibly be good. I blame this on Schneider however, for designing the thread stuff on the front element the way they did. It doesn't happen on my 180 Nikkor, because there is plenty of room between the cap and the glass. But now that I think about it, it also happens with the rear element of the 75 SA. Should I be concerned?

Another Lens Cap Rant

Oops, I meant to say it has "70mm" imprinted on it, not 67!

Another Lens Cap Rant

I had S.K. Grimes make caps for my 150mm SS XL and my 55mm Grandagon. Moden caps just don't cut it with large diameter glass. I just couldn't imagine carrying either of these in a pack with the OEM caps.

Steve

Beverly Hills, California

Another Lens Cap Rant

Or you could substitute with a Nikon cap, which are MUCH better. (The Japanese do accesories vey well.)

Another Lens Cap Rant

If you don't have the money left over to have Grimes make you custom caps, you can take a cheap filter, knock out the plastic or glass (it better be plastic...) and use the ring as a spacer to give your front element some breathing room from the cap. If you are in an extreme situation it may vignette but I doubt it, and in any case you could remove it for actual shooting.

On flea-Bay there is a seller who has short metal screw-in lenshades for wide-angle . I put them some of my lenses and they help protect the front element from impacts as well as spacing things back. Then I find caps for the shade, not the front of the lens.

They are too short to be really effective lenshades but they don't hurt...

Another thing I found - for smaller lenses, not your 150XL - is a series of stepped step-up rings for only $20 from the same eBay guy. From 40.5 up to 86mm in popular steps. I just screw a few steps into a lens - then you can always use a flat metal screw in lenscap (cheap and bullet-proof) and get a minimal short lenshade too.

For the dSLR I always use the short metal Nikon screw-in hoods, even when they make a dedicated junky plastic shade. The metal shades have saved the lenses numerous times.

Another Lens Cap Rant

You can also use the front "cap" from a set of filter storage caps. It is a flat round threaded plate that will screw onto the front threads of the lens. But personally I prefer push on caps.