Thread: Yousuf Karsh, a find

Yousuf Karsh, a find

Good Day,

On my recent vacation to rural Connecticut, I happened to stop at a "used book barn".
    Browsing the used books in the photo section located in the lower darkly lit shelves collecting dust, I discovered the following text, "In Search of Greatness, Reflections of Yousuf Karsh."

This paper back book, which I purchased to add to my photographic library, was published in 1962 by the University of Toronto Press, selling for $1.95. I purchased it for $5.oo plus tax. Karsh's biography was a delight to read & insightful as well. His early life, the sorrows & happiness, were interesting. Karsh's mentors in life certainly sustained him.

His prints, for example of Robert Frost, was selling for approx $100 at that time as mentioned in the book. He identifies Churchill, Pope John, XXX111, Pablo Casals, Hellen Keller, Einstein & Schweitzer as his most "interesting" challenges just to name a few & that "Hollywood" types were the most "difficult".

His camera philosophy in a nut shell: The quality he looked for in a portrait is what he called, the "inner power" of the sitter. He stated that the "artists" job is to stir the emotions of the viewer & lay bare the soul of the subject. And the job of a photographer is to develop the skill of seeing his subject with one's eyes before he sees it though his camera.

I found this book to be an excellent "find" as well as a nice addition to my library.

Respectfully,

Raymond A. Bleesz

Photographer
    Edwards, Co

Yousuf Karsh, a find

Hi Raymond. Thanks for passing this on. It's nice to hear those thought between all the talk of equipment and technique. I am definitley going to try and find a copy for myself. Cheers.

Yousuf Karsh, a find

I recently bought Karsh A Fifty-Year Retrospective for $2.00 at a garage sale.