Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CambridgeWorld.Com

CambridgeWorld.Com

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Cambridge World? Are they reputable?

I noticed that they have a listing for a Schneider 300mm Componon S enlarger lens that I thought Schneider had discontinued.

http://www.cambridgeworld.com/Schneider_Componon-S_Enlarger_Lenses_Darkroom/schneider_300mm_f5.6_componon_s.htm

And their price for a Beseler 8x10 enlarger is considerably cheaper than what B&H once charged.

http://www.cambridgeworld.com/Beseler_Enlargers_Accessories/beseler_810_vxl.htm

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

CambridgeWorld.Com

Try ordering one of the above and see what happens. I was impressed by the extensive inventory of Nova Processors on their website--lots of models, pretty good prices. When I tried to order one I was twice told to call back in a couple of weeks. Finally I got a guy who said that none of the items on the website were is stock and that there was no prospect of them ever getting any. Interesting business model.

CambridgeWorld.Com

Don't even consider buying from these people.

For a brief taste of their business policies check out:

http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-one-about?id=2&about=Cambridge+Camera

CambridgeWorld.Com

See:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/502995.html#563823

CambridgeWorld.Com

This sounds like the same Cambridge outfit with a slightly different name that's been scamming people forever. They probably have more negative stuff posted on the photo.net forum JG mentioned than any other dealer (and that's sayinig something considering the fact that places like Beach Camera and Abe's of Maine are featured prominently on that forum).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

CambridgeWorld.Com

Enter "Cambridge Camera" into the New York Better Business Bureau search engine here and see what comes up.

CambridgeWorld.Com

Reading the answers you got here, I think I must have been very lucky when dealing with Cambridgeworld. I bought two items from them on the auction site and didn't have any trouble. They delivered the exact item in perfect condition. Shipping to Europe was very fast.

CambridgeWorld.Com

I ordered a "brand-new in-the-original-box" close up lens from them about a year ago. When it arrived, the box was torn and dirty, the lens glass was scratched and had a chip at the edge, and the rim was scratched and dented. Their reply to my complaint? "Don't blame us, Schneider sent it to us that way..."

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

CambridgeWorld.Com

The amazing thing is that they don't seem to be embarassed by what seems like a well-deserved reputation. I've talked to them on the phone to verify in-stock status of a web-advertized item and they are quite willing to offer "to find" whatever you want but they never return calls and, when I called back, have an attitude like they couldn't care less.

CambridgeWorld.Com

They list a Widelux 1500 on their website, a camera that has not been manufactured for many years. And the company went out of business about 5-10 years ago. I emailed them and they admitted that it is a refurbished model, i.e. used, though the listing does not bother to mention the fact.