Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asymmetrical focus cameras

Smile Re: asymmetrical focus cameras

I have used and Ebony SV57U for several years. I was hesitant about the extra cost of the asymmetric feature but am extremely glad that I have it.

For most landscapes, I end up using some tilt and this feature makes it extremely fluid. Over time the quality of this feature and the experience of using it has far outweighed the extra cost when purchased.

I chose the 5x7 in mahogany becuase it was substantially lighter than the ebony version and just as stable/rigid/durable. My 5x7 weighs in at just about 6lbs which represents a terrific tradeoff of weight, groundglass size, negative size, camera stability, ease of use, and features.

Best Regards,
    George

Re: asymmetrical focus cameras

I am not sure I grasp the benefit of this asymmetric tilt. What is the difference between "lens axis" tilt and asymmetric tilt?

I understand the benefits of lens axis tilt over base tilt, i.e. when you tilt, the image does not run up the ground glass, so you have to chase it with the rear rise, but what is the benefit the asymmetric offers?
    Last edited by bglick; 13-May-2006 at 09:27.

Re: asymmetrical focus cameras

I agree that the Asymmetrical movements are a time-saver, however as others have pointed out they're not entirely necessary.

If you know where in the image to focus before a center swing or center tilt, you can accomplish essentially the same focus with relative ease. The trick is knowing exactly where the focus point should be since it changes with subject distance. Suffice it to say you develop a feel for this in use and at worst only a minor focus tweak is needed after the swing or tilt to get everything perfect. And yes, by comparison, the asymmetrical movements get you there pretty much first time, every time.

FWIW: Many cameras (like the Arca-Swiss for example) allow you to shift the front or rear standard relative to the swing axis -- so all one needs to do is crank in offset shift to a convenient grid-line on the GG and use that as the "swing point" just like an asymmetrical camera. The advantage is you can place this swing point anywhere you want -- the disadvantage is it takes time to make this extra shift adjustment (if you change it) and the same concept may or may not work for tilts, depending on the camera.
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 13-May-2006 at 09:31.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com