Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Graflex - newbie questions

Just bought a Graflex - newbie questions

Hello all,

I've lurked on this board for the better part of a year now, trying to get the guts to jump in. Tonight I did it. I bought a Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic 4x5 on ebay tonight that comes with a Schneider Xenar 135mm f.4.7 lens. I don't have the first clue how to use this thing, but am determined to learn. I know that the main recs for newbie books on here is the Stroebel and Simmons' book; my question is, will these be appropriate for my Graflex? I understand that it's not officially a view camera, but I'm hoping that it will help me get my feet wet. Will these books help me to use this camera? Or do y'all have another recomendation for books, websites, etc...

BTW, the kind of photography I'm looking to do is landscape, with some action shots of my one year old thrown in. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I would start with Steve Simmons book - it absolutely applies to your Crown Graphic as well - true you have limited movements on that camera, but some movements nevertheless. There are some other items you will need,like film holders, a loupe for focusing on the groundglass, a darkcloth, a tripod and a cable release. Welocme to the great and confusing world of Large Format Photography.
    Juergen

Welcome to LF! In addition to Steve Simmons' book, check out www.graflex.org --- a treasury of graflex info.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

www.graflex.org is a website devoted to cameras produced by Graflex. I'm sure you can find some useful information there, Doijng a search for "Graflex" will probably find some more information for you.

Regarding books, if you live near a large library, that might be a good place to start, particularly regarding the Stroebel book which is rather large,expensive and some find difficult reading. Some other books are Shaman "The View Camera"and Stone "A User's Guide to the View Camera". A long out of print book "Graphic Graflex Photography" contains information specific to your camera and is often available on eBay or from www.abebooks.com, very likely from other sources as well.

I hope you will have many years of enjoyment of large format photography.

Thanks for your welcome, Juergen. I will definitely buy the Simmons book, then. I appreciate your help. I forgot to mention that along with the auction, I will get two film holders. I probably need a few more, huh? I think the tripod I have now will support the Crown Graphic - I'll have to find out for sure when it arrives. If not, then I'll be back on ebay, to the utter despair of my husband.

John, thank you for the book rec and the link. It was the Graflex site and this site's review of the Crown Speed Graphic that ultimately helped me to decided to go with the Pacemaker that was for auction. I'm not sure, but I think I saw that they have a forum. I need to go check that out. Thanks!

Ernest, thanks for the library tip. Unfortunately, the library in our area is sorely lacking in photography instructional books. I have to rely on amazon or abebooks (one of my favs). I wasn't aware of the "Graphic Graflex Photography" book. That sounds like a must-have for me. Awesome tip-thanks!

Some of these books are overkill as you won't be using many movements with a Crown. The Jim Stone book is a good basic all arounder which might be more appropriate for starting out, while still being useful later on.

Welcome to large format photography.

Here is some reading that might help

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

There are several articles here you might find interesting.

In addition to the Stone book and mine I frequently recommend Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga. Yes, some of these books my be a little much as you get started but you may very well grow into them and into a different camera at some point.

steve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

Frank, you are right, that's why I would like to get just a few books to start out and not get too overwhelmed. I didn't know about the Jim Stone book, but found it on amazon. Thanks for your rec.