Thread: Problem with film holder resolved.

Problem with film holder resolved.

Previously, I reported finding a hair-like pattern on the edge of a frame. I got lots of helpful suggestions, but I've finally found the source of the problem. It happened again, and this time I looked very carefully at the offending film holder. On the cloth hinge at the flap end, some very fine threads had come loose and were dangling. These were long enough so that they could intrude in the film area with the dark slide removed. The film holder was one of two Riteway holders, and the problem only occurred on one side of one of them. The cloth hinges for my Fidelity holders are glued only on the end, but those for my Riteway holders extend over the edges.

I've now removed the threads, and I will be careful to check my film holders in the future.

Does anyone know what the hinge material is?

something like a bookbinder's tape I think

Calumet has a thin paper/cloth tape that fits well and lasts if you clean off the old adhesive before applying the new tape. I have found that something thicker, like gaffers' tape, can cause seating problems on some cameras since the holder won't slide over far enough for the ridge to drop down into the slot on the camera back.

Unless you're into maintaining originality with your film holders you can use almost any tape as a hinge. I use black electrical tape purchased at Home Depot but any tape that will adhere and is sufficiently flexible will work. As I'm sure you know, the tape doesn't perform any light-blocking function, it serves only as a hinge so that the film can be inserted and removed.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

Don't you find the electrician's tape tend to gum up over a bit of time... especially in warm weather?

I've used bookbinder's tape for the last couple of repairs on some 5x7 holders and it worked quite well. And, a roll of the stuff will last you a long, long time with no muss, no fuss!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Big Negs Rock!

I recently re-habbed some 8x10 film holders. I used black cloth tape. I've used cloth tape before for other things and it lasts quite well. Electricians tape tends to come loose and get gooey (at least the kind I've used does that). YMMV So far, the holders have held up quite well.

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Henry C - No, I haven't had a problem with the tape gumming up. Maybe my term "electrical tape" wasn't technically correct - it's black tape with a sort of fabric-like material on the non-sticky side. It actually looks and feels very much like the original tape. I think it's made by 3M.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, what you describe sounds rather like "friction tape" -- I found a roll of this at a hardware store a couple weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to try it (I've got a couple old wood holders that could use retaping). It's also sold as "electrical friction tape" which might be the source of confusion on the name; it's intended to protect electrical wiring from friction where it rubs on an edge (to keep from wearing through insulation and causing a short, primarily).

The friction tape I have is a little coarser weave and has a more open surface than bookbinder's tape, but I haven't any idea where to find bookbinder's tape; hardware, office supply, and even fabric stores have come up negative for any kind of cloth-backed tape except for this friction tape.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Big Negs Rock!

Hi Donald,

I think you're going to be disappointed with the friction tape. If it's what I think it is, it won't hold. When I use it, I wrap the electrical wires and then shellac them. I've done wiring for Motion Picture work with high amperage and large wires. It's great for that and very durable, but it doesn't hold to a flat surface very well. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've used black cloth tape. If you can't find it locally go to: http://www.studiodepot.com/store/index.cgi?cmd=view_item&parent=1016-1103-1134&id=8071 They'll ship.

Kind Regards,

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com