Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd size film...

Odd size film...

Glenn, Ilford is offering only sizes to which they have assigned a specific catalog number in advance, and then only by prepaid order during periodic special order periods to be announced in advance, and only if they receive sufficient orders in a given size to cover the cost of re-setting the cutting machinery for that size.

10x20 is not currently one of the sizes they are offering. Hugo could ask for a catalog number to be assigned for next time, but he would have to wait many months for the next ordering opportunity and then after that for production and delivery. Also, I don't know of any other users of that size, so unless Hugo is willing to place a substantial order by himself - probably well over $1000, if the feedback from this round of ordering is any indication - they won't be able to cut it even if the catalog number is assigned.

Odd size film...

Thanks, everyone! I have another idea and welcome your comment: How about put a stripe of plastic or wood of 1" width and 20" long inside the upper and lower section of the holder and thus use 8x20 film!?The camera and holders are on their way to me. I will take a look of the holder and see if I can play with it.

Odd size film...

Hugo - The adapter strips sound to me like something worth trying. It should be fairly easy to do. A couple of sheets of thin plastic or sheet metal sandwiched together with a slight offset. The offset on the bottom sheet fits under the original film rail, and the offset on the top sheet becomes the new film rail. I'm not sure how to keep the adapters in place. Maybe a couple of small pieces of thin double-stick tape. You probably want something removable in case you want to go to 9 1/2" or 10" film in the future.

I'm curious just what this 10X20 camera is. Maybe you gave the information in a previous post and I missed it.

Odd size film...

Leonard, I will first just try to cut 12x20 film and shoot 10x20. I think it is a very unique size and my prints will be different from 8x20s and 12x20s. If cutting film is too much a hassel, I will try to work with the holders. Take a look of the camera at eBay: 7614392478. Its 38" bellow draw is nice!

Odd size film...

Hugo - Thanks for posting the eBay link. It is a very interesting camera. It should be very light weight for the size. You may need to use a clamp-on "wind brace" or two at times. The design is obviously English, but I wonder is it may have actually been made in India. Probably some collector in England could tell you all about it.

Cutting down 12X20 is probably the quick and easy way to get started with the camera. I don't know anything about current rotary trimmers, so I can't advise what to shop for. Even a straight edge and Xacto knife would work if you can align it in the dark.

Odd size film...

Leonard- What is a clamp-on "wind brace"? Can you show me a picture or a link? There are always new things to learn in ULF. Another question: Do you develop your 12-20 films in tray or Jobo drum? I use Jobo for my 8x10 and wonder if Jobo 2850 is good for film this size. Thanks!

Odd size film...

Here is an example of a wind brace: http://www.filmholders.com/wskit.html I've never used one of these, but other people speak well of it. I've used wooden strips and small spring clamps to do the same thing. Probably running something across the tops of the front and rear standards does the most to firm up a view camera, but braces from the front or rear of the bed down to a tripod leg help too. I've used a monopod wedged under the front of the camera bed also.

I don't have enough experience with ULF developing to give you good advice. I always use different size print drums on a Unicolor motor base for sheet film, but when you get to ULF, you are limited to one sheet at a time. I think that is why some people favor trays. There is a thread here on 12X20 in a Jobo: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/default.asp?BulletinCate=2 and you may find other ideas there on the Azo forum.

Odd size film...

If you want to try ortho film, Freestyle has APHS which comes in a slew of odd ball sizes. If not 10x20, it would be easy to cut a larger size under a red safelight as already suggested. Its also CHEAP compared to panchro.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Odd size film...

I thought of ortho film, too, but didn't have a link for a normal contrast developer formula. Do you happen to know of one? Any idea how the contrast comes out? I know the ortho will have a different look than pan film.

Odd size film...

Missed this thread on the first go-around.

Hugo I use almost exclusively J&C 10" wide X 100 foot long Cirkut film in my 8X10 cameras. I cut it myself. It's no big deal at all. The 10" is correct for the holders and I cut it at 7 7/8+ whatever it is so it fits the holders.

The film is rolled "emulsion in" so it has a natural curl into the emulsion. This curl is enough to hold the film flat against the back of the holders. In fact I never worry about pointing the camera down as the surl holds it flat no matter what.

So I cut it at 8" chunks while you'd cut it at 20". It would work excellent. 10X20"! Wow, that rocks.

Good luck.