Thread: lens caps?

lens caps?

Hey folks,

Where could I get lens caps for a 180mm Nikkor-W and a 75mm Super Angulon (not XL)? I know the front takes 67mm filters, so I need to buy 68mm caps (B&H seems to carry those). However, I'm not sure about the rear element. I'd measure it, but I don't have the lenses with me right now.

Is there a chart somewhere on the internet? Anywhere else I should look besides B&H?

lens caps?

The rear cell of the Nikkor 180W has a 54mm outer diameter according to my Nikon book. Typically, slip on caps need to be about 3mm larger than the filter thread diameter, so for a 67mm filter thread, a 70mm slip on cap would be in order. This is the case with the Nikkor 180W anyway. I hope that helps.

lens caps?

Thanks Robert, that actually did help. I ordered 70mm and 57mm lens caps. The rear of the 75mm SA seems to be 64mm, but I could only find a 65mm cap. Maybe it'll work.

lens caps?

206964 is the Kaiser push-on cap in 64mm.

lens caps?

The f5.6 75 mm Super-Angulon? The drawing in the PDF datasheet at http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/ gives the rear diameter as 65 mm. But Schneider suggests 64 mm at http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/accessories/lens_caps/super-angulon.htm, probably because the length of the cylinder is so short.

Schneider has tables of lens caps linked from http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/accessories/lens_caps/

The Nikon specs are available on line at http://www.europe-nikon.com/category.aspx?countryid=20&languageid=22&catId=148, confirming the 54 mm figure that Robert supplied -- click on the particular lens, then "Main Specifications", then look for "rear mount size". The front mount size is given as 70 mm.

lens caps?

"Thanks Robert, that actually did help. I ordered 70mm and 57mm lens caps."

Emre, if you ordered the 57mm cap for the rear of the Nikkor, it will be too large! Note that I said the rear cell OUTER diameter is 54mm. That's the size you need.

lens caps?

Yep, I realized this too after returning home and measuring the lens. I didn't order the 57mm cap after all.

lens caps?

If you call Schneider they'll sell you lens caps, front and rear, for any of their lenses. Prices range from $10 to $15 as I recall depending on the size of the cap but it's been a couple years since I bought any so the price may be higher today.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.