Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safely carrying lens elements in a backpack

Safely carrying lens elements in a backpack

I have two lenses that use the same old Copal 3 shutter. (Xenar 210 mm f/4.5 and Telomar 360 mm f/5.5.) I don't want to carry both Copal 3 shutters for these two lenses in my backpack due to weight and size. I want to carry just one mounted lens and the elements for the other lens; when I need to use the other lens, I will exchange the elements. How can I safely carry the elements in my backpack? I want to protect the threads and the glass without devoting too much pack space.

A related question---is there a name for this particular kind of Copal 3 shutter? It's threads are different from a modern Copal 3.

Geos

I purchased one of skgrimes' rear element lenscaps for the Cooke Series XVa. You could get one of these for the back element, and have a custom one made for the front. Also you could have a double ender made that would keep both halves toegther.

http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/Cooke/index.htm

A Copal 3 shutter doesn't weigh much, and if you take both you'll have a backup.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Keep on mounted on your camera and the other in your pack?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I vote for storing each on its own Copal #3 shutter In lieu of that, I would store one on a barrel mount.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Thanks for the responses so far.

Where might I find a barrel mount? Is it light?

I should probably add that I will usually carry a Ronar 240mm f/9 too, and that both the Ronar and the 360mm Telomar are in focusing mounts (for use on a 4x5 camera and a 617 camera). Therefore, I would only use the 210mm Xenar when I needed the two stops of extra speed or the slightly wider coverage.

The Xenar elements are so light that carrying them is almost free. I would not be using the Xenar that often, and I do not mind losing a minute or so to exchange elements on the rare occasions that I do use it.

Wrap each element in some bubble wrap with a rubber band around it.

Interesting question - The problem is really about storing the lens elements in such a way that there is no risk for damage or scratches/wiskmarks on the glass. To protect from damage is rather easy but to store it without getting marks on the glass from continuous movements while walking with the backpack is more difficult.

What one wants to do is to put the lens element in a container where there is litte risk of the glass touching any part of the inside of the container, e.g. putting it 'sideways' into a plastic cylinder. or ideally a round ball kind of thing, where only the sides of the lens element can touch the inside of the container (such as a Kinder Egg for smaller lenses). I guess for most lenses two different sizes of containers would be needed. The plastic container could then be wrapped up in bubble wrap.

Otherwise I also propose to bring the 'extra' shutter...instead of fiddling around with the glass elements outside and risking putting a fingerprint in the wrong place.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

One of my older process lenses i have mounted is shy of a lens cap. Although my backpack is padded, I sometime ago bought brand new, clean chamois - the kind used and sold in auto good stores for drying off cars. I buy a larger one and cut up into smaller squares, and I wrap many of my lenses individually in the chamois then place in my backpack.

So far (knock wood) it's done me good.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I'd suggest, in addition to the optical chamois, a layer of bubble wrap, between as well as around the lens groups, and that bundle then stored in a small Tupperware or similar plastic container just large enough for the package. This won't be a bunch smaller than the second Copal #3, but will probably weigh about half a pound less -- and depending how far you're hiking, half a pound might be a lot...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D