Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11x14 camera

11x14 camera

Not to go into the whole list, I use a view camera, but the biggest weight is the cases and tripod. I use only hard side cases and a tripod that weighs about 17lbs. I have different ways of moving it all around.

11x14 camera

In such a case, the titanium seems a rather natural choice...

11x14 camera

My 11"x14" setup tops the scales at 48 pounds packed in a case with three holders. The case and Ries tripod are secured on a Roleeze cart for ease of transporation. Fairly easy to use as well.

-Bruce

11x14 camera

I carry my Phillips Explorer (11x14) attatched to an Berebach tripod w/Majestic geared head on my shoulder, the camera is unfolded w/dark cloth and apropriate lens attatched. I carry 4 S&S holders and one extra lens in a large water proof bike messanger bag. I than carry all the little stuff (light meter, lens cloth, note book, filters.......) your always using on a Lowpro utility belt. This outfit is very mobile and fast, by fast i mean my set up time. I have humped probably up to five miles with this carrying configuration but you are limitted to easy to moderate trails like this.

Mike

11x14 camera

Matt, good for you! Don't worry about people who are obsessed with the Pythagorean theorem but kant spel. Film holders lenses all are available and all are expensive. I have an old 11x14"something", Ilike the format and love the contact prints, however it is heavy to backpack.An all metal [excepting the lens, film and bellows] version is enticing, Iwould be interested to see what you come up with & perhaps could help with some ideas.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

11x14 camera

Thanks for all the support, and for the concern about the weight. I carry allot of equipment, this is the way I like it. Yes, I’ve carried three hundred pounds of equipment, not just camera equipment, but for years hunting, fishing, climbing, and other equipment, up, down, over, and across allot of the US. This experience has helped me since I picked up the camera. Ok, I’m looking at building a 11x14 monorail with a reducing 8x10 back. Looking at bellows right now, I’m thinking of making one, to see how that goes. I’ve also decided to make film holders for the camera, but I’m just getting under way with the design. Time, this I have, and also help to do this project. So thanks again and I’ll have allot of questions in the months to come.

11x14 camera

You want an 11x14" monorail, no concerns about weight? I'd build a Sinar P conversion. Get an 8x10" Sinar P, and that will take care of your 8x10" concerns, and then you just have to build the back and bellows that will attach easily to the rear standard bearer of the P (or P2). If you hunt around on APUG.org, we had a thread recently on Sinar P conversions to formats larger than 8x10".

11x14 camera

My biggest complaint about 11x14 is the expense of film holders.

Re: 11x14 camera

I also shoot 11x14, and use a Burke & James folding field camera that weights about 23lbs. I too would second the idea of converting an 8x10 Sinar P to an 11x14, and building your back yourself. There has been big dicussions on the matter on APUG and a few sites who have pictures and stuff.

I have an extra 11x14 film holder if you want it for 60 bucks plus shipping. Its not in the best condition, but is light tight and useable! It was also make for a good template for making your own. Its an old Kodak FILM holder, not plate holder.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net