Thread: Daguerreotype Workshop: July 14-17, Peters Valley

Daguerreotype Workshop: July 14-17, Peters Valley

Daguerreotype Workshop: July 14-17th, Peters Valley, NJ

I will be teaching a daguerreotype workshop this summer at Peters Valley Craft Center. This is a unique opportunity to learn a forgotten craft.

Here is the blurb:
    The daguerreotype is an image unlike any other, each is unique and elusory. It was the first and arguably the most beautiful form of photography, and yet its importance and technologies are largely forgotten. In this workshop we will learn, practice, and discuss different methods of daguerreotypy with the goal that every participant be able to produce several images, and quickly be on their way to making daguerreotypes on their own with the skills and knowledge learned in this workshop.

This workshop will use the less-toxic and ecologically-friendly Becquerel development, although we will discuss the basics of mercury development. We will concentrate on the most important and difficult skills; polishing, sensitizing, gilding, and problem solving. In addition, we will manufacture our own daguerreotype plates and learn to build fuming boxes. The course will also include a brief introduction to 19th century photographic technology. Participants will be asked to read one or two "classic" manuals (available on-line) before the workshop, and encouraged to bring their own 4x5 or 5x7 camera.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. I would love to fill this workshop up with LF folk, and I know two participants of this forum are planning upon participating.

jason

While I have no interest in Daguerreotype, I will hype Peters Valley. An hour NW of New York City in the New Jersey highlands area. The workshops use a lot of the same instructors as the big name workshops at about half the price.

While the living conditions are, ah, rustic. The food is good, the lab well equipped and the people are great. It's not just photography but many other arts as well. Something for everyone.

Give PV a try it's the best deal in photo workshops. And no, I do not work there.

Thanks for the plug Jim. Personally, I think you (and everyone else) should be interested in Dags...

jason

A quick thanks to our Oren Grad, who wrote a beautiful and thoughtful post on Daguerreotypy; theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/04/daguerreotype-lives.html