Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Togs II

Togs II

It's nice to know someone actually reads what I post:

I came across one of your comments in a photo blog where you used the term "tog" twice, once with the word amateur in front of it. The context revealed that this is your term of derision for those whom you look down on as inferior in expertise and/or equipment. I could tell how much it makes you feel better about yourself when you use it. In that, it's a great term.

I belong to an informal on-line group of amateur (one who does a thing for the love of it) photographers who enjoy finding comments by pretentious "pros" like yourself. In fact, we have started a collection of these kind of pompous, "look down your nose" comments when we come across them. The humor value of these comments is immeasurable, and we all get a good belly laugh when we find a fresh one still dripping with condescension. It seems photography is just one of those activities that seems to attract more than it's share of elitist snots, so we never run out of "laugh out loud" material from such as yourself.

To get to my point, until now, I never knew there was a name used by the self-appointed gawds of photography up on Mt. Olympus (or would that be Mt. Nikon? No, too common. Maybe Mt. Leica.) for us who lack the proper sophistication in the photographic arts. We are thrilled to know that we mere amateur mortals now have a name: The Togs! We discussed it, laughed ourselves silly over it, and we love it! It's now the official name of our unofficial group. Thanks so much for giving us an identity. We will wear the name with pride, knowing that it came from on high. A thousand thank yous, your excellency!

Regards,

Wesley

Wesley got it right, I am imperial, pompous, "gawd of photography" and I'm too busy raking my money and tripping over extra Leicas to bother to make any personal photos. And I don't want anymore lip from you peons!

Actually I'm dying to see his group and see the other quotes from the "gawds."

Togs II

Sounds like Wesley needs to get a job and stop worrying about what other people are posting.

And Frank, stop looking down your nose and being so darn imperial and pompus! If you were just a plain, boring, "I'm not going to offend anyone" sort of guy, you wouldn't get such wonderful notes from these idiots :-)

Togs II

At least you got something positive out of the experience, Frank. You now know first hand the type of people to which the phrase "anally retentive" refers. My experience with my computer books suggests that people criticize anything that can't understand.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Togs II

Just so you know, Gawds Of Photography are knows as "gops", anal retentives are called "anal retentives" and we are changing Ultra Large Format to Extra Large Format so we can call them ELFs which is what they look like next to their big cameras and also it sounds like something from Lord of the Rings (LOTR) which is cool.

Togs II

I'm a TOG!! That explains a few things....

Togs II

Do people actually have time to agonize over this? And there's a forum for it?

Togs II

The definition of TOG

Unit of measure of thermal insulation used in the textile trade; a light summer suit provides 1.0 tog.

The tog value of an object is equal to ten times the temperature difference (in °C) between its two surfaces when the flow of heat is equal to one watt per square metre; one tog equals 0.645 clo.

Now thats what I call anally retentive...

but just a minute, there are other defintions of TOG

www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wogan/togs.shtml

and last but not least...

www.rcog.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=67

Jim Ewins

Togs II

I'm not sure that the term, "Tog" applies to Frank, but I'm indebted to Weslie for the defination. When scanning many of the "Art" type photo mags, there are plenty of articles by "Togs" and also many coffee table foto books with dialog written by "Togs". For some background on this trend read A.D. Coleman

Togs II

Note to Wesley: You can't recognise a fault in someone else unless you also have that fault. Did you notice any condescension in your post?

Togs II

All Wesley has to do is hang out here to meet the real "Gawds of Photography". Cripes, the heavens are full of them, raining thunderbolts down upon the lower masses of amateur togs.

But I would love to see his group's comments...

BTW, it doesn't take much to be a "Gawd" these days... I mostly do pictures of my kids, an occassional pretty girl, and an urban sunset or two... with my professional Nikon D70 and 35/2 lens and my "professional" 60-year old view cameras. If that puts me into holy terroritory then guys like Tim Atherton and Chris Jordan and Kirk Gittings must be "Hyper-Gawds." And Steve Simmons? Com'on, if we mention him we're instantly blinded!