Thread: Processing in San Francisco

Processing in San Francisco

Does anyone know a good commercial lab for 4x5 color negative processing in San Francisco? With good I mean: clipmarks very close to the edge, and flawless processing. Please respond only if you have personal experience with the lab, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Talk to Steve at Penisula Photographics in San Mateo.

In SOMA, I'm happy with Oscar: www.oscarsphotolab.com. No problems to date with C-41 or B&W, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10.

I just moved to the Bay Area and so the answer to the question would be of great interest--however, Pennisula Photographics in San Mateo--within minutes of where I am staying--closed its doors on June 11 according to its web page.

Anything else south of the city?

--Darin

I was using Ferraricolor, but they went all digital recently. Calypso in Santa Clara is outstanding. And they have special Landscape Photographer pricing for E-6. Last batch I did required almost ZERO spotting for skies -- usually the toughest test of how clean the process is.

www.calypsoinc.com

Another vote for Calypso. Had one isolated case where they cross-processed a sheet, but my courier may have not attached the right slip. Everything I've taken to them personally has come out nicely.

E6 anywhere in the bay area (and IMHO anywhere in the western US), you cannot beat The New Lab www.newlab.com

C41 is a close race between Calypso (www.calypsoinc.com) and New Lab (and I personally would ship up to the New Lab as they have daily pickup as far south as Palo Alto at Keeble and Shuchat, and I live fairly close to Calypso)

C41 in the South Bay (Silicon Valley area) it's Calypso, and I personally go there for color prints. Not that I wouldn't get prints at New Lab.... but I don't live close enough for any iterations and the staff at Calypso takes direction well.

I'm still looking for a good B&W lab for prints since The Darkroom in Mountain View closed. (any tips would be gratefully appreciated)

D.

Smile Re: Processing in San Francisco

The New Lab in SF is known for it's outstanding processing for both E-6 and C-41.

Now they have expanded into the digital printing relm as well.... The can print up to 30x40 on digital photo papers with a laser technology similar to the Lightjet 5000. The benefit to their printer is that it profiles as the image is being processed for printing. Their system has another advantage, they do not have to remove the paper from the machine to process the paper, the processor is built in thus creating a closed loop system leaving little room for chemistry shifting and color shifts.

Re: Processing in San Francisco

Calypso did a fine job for me with E6 and C41.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 17-Jul-2006 at 17:44.

Re: Processing in San Francisco

Calypso no longer offers C-41 processing.