Thread: Toyo 810G long bellows

Toyo 810G long bellows

My studio camera, a Toyo 810G has had a bellows failure, and I thought it might
    be a good idea when I get the new one to ask Camera Bellows to make me the long
    version, 1200mm vs. the common, which I beleive is 800mm. I do not do any
    wide shots , and I notice that the current bellows is at its limit some of the time.

Anybody know of any pitfalls here? what would be the shortest lens usable indoors
    with the long bellows (I am aware I would need to get a rail extension). The camera
    never leaves the studio.

Thanks

Toyo 810G long bellows

I would think that a lot depends on the bellows construction, Herb. Camera Bellows should be able to give you a spec for the fully-compressed measurement of just the bellows. Then, take a measurement of the standards at their closest position, and see what the max-compression figure from the manufacturer does to that. The standard bellows is 700mm, and Toyo lists the shortest lens (on a flat board) with that as 100mm. The combined measurement above should give you a close approximation of the minimum focal length with the longer bellows.

The only pitfall I'd see is that you may need to rig a bellows support rod at long extensions to minimize any sag.

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/810GII/810GII.html

Toyo 810G long bellows

Before you spring for either one, check with Gortite. I had quotes done by both companies. They came in about a hundred bucks less than Camera Bellows for the standard Toyo bellows.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Toyo 810G long bellows

Ralph, not sure if you are aware, but Toyo does make an "extra long" bellows, although a bit pricee, I did buy one. The biggest problem is middle sag, but a support can correct this....

If you plan to make your own, and you have the frames, then it will be much cheaper... as trying to get Toyo to sell you frames is like pulling teeth, they fear you will not buy their bellows... I had to come up with a song and a dance and the weight of a dealer to force them to sell me a few frames for a custom bellows I wanted made, but they wanted to know details first, so they did not loose a bellows sale, sheeeeesh.... and even then, it took them 6 months to send it. Toyo has been reduced to a 2 man company in the past few years.... vs. 40+ employees in the mid 90's, amazing, huh.....

Toyo 810G long bellows

wg - yes, I've been on the lookout for both the 1200mm and the bag bellows for my 810G. For just a bit more extension with the standard 700mm bellows, the front of the tapered 810G bellows will attach to the rear standard of the 45C. Just can't go too far without vignetting, though. I've also been considering making the frames myself, and then making my own bag bellows.

Toyo 810G long bellows

Ralph, since its a studio, why not use the Toyo intermediate standard with the 4x5 bellows to gain the length, I have it for my VX125, works great......

Toyo 810G long bellows

I think that's essentially what I'm doing by attaching the front of the 810G bellows to the rear standard of the 45C (after removing the front standard from the 810G). After removing the 4x5 back, the rear standard essentially becomes an intermediate standard. If I'm shooting 4x5 with a reducing back on the 810G, there's no vignetting problem, of course, and I can use all 700mm + 449mm of bellows, if need be. When shooting 8x10 with the 4x5 bellows out front, I have to watch it, though.