Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backpack recomendations

Re: Backpack recomendations

I'll second what Ted says--I use the f64 and it has worked wonderful. I carry a lot of gear and the bag really distributes the weight well. I also like (2) opening system--lenses in the smaller upper pouch and camera..etc in the larger bottom compartment. Comes with a built in rain jacket and place for the tripod.

Not as fancy as some of the others but really does a great job of protecting your equipment and letting you forget about how much you are carrying.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade Zumhofe
    I'll second what Ted says--I use the f64 and it has worked wonderful. I carry a lot of gear and the bag really distributes the weight well. I also like (2) opening system--lenses in the smaller upper pouch and camera..etc in the larger bottom compartment. Comes with a built in rain jacket and place for the tripod.

Not as fancy as some of the others but really does a great job of protecting your equipment and letting you forget about how much you are carrying.

Hope this helps.
    Slade thanks for the second, but I don't think that is what I said. Quoting from my post, I said "I used an f64 for nearly a year but never felt the straps, padding, suspension, support, etc. were up to what I have come to expect in a good pack. I think you are much better off finding a packmade for hiking and climbing that you can use." As I recall Isold it to someone here but don't remember who.

I too have a Toho - pack weight is important to me also.

I'm been using an Osprey Eclipse for the last three years. It was designed for skiers I think. It's nicely padded, very light weight, and it snugs down nicely to keep the contents right on your spine for best balance. And it's the most comfortable pack I've ever had. I can and often do wear it all day - hikes of 15km are normal, up and down the mountains. Several times in Yosemite now.

Sadly, it doesn't look like this pack is being made any more. But Osprey does have a line of really lightweight packs that look very similar. You might want to check them out.

Whatever you do, do make sure that you get a pack that has a pocket for a water bladder. Having 4 liters of water on board and always available makes life much nicer.

Bruce Watson

Check out this site www.photobackpacker.com I saw his stuff at the recent APUG Conference and it's a real cool system.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I love my Lowepro super trekker. It's comfortable with a heavy load and has a non-losable rain cover - which is good for me.

Don't know if they still make this model, but my Mountainsmith Paragon is well made and comfortable; and holds about as much as I can/care to carry. I have the main padded compartment stuffed with a 4x5 Tachihara wrapped in a BlackJacket dark cloth. three lenses, a Pentax spot meter, Linhof viewfinder, small spotting binoculars, step-up rings, several filters including a set of 4x6" GNDs with adapter.

The separate zippered bottom portion holds three boxes of QuickLoads, QL holder and a Polaroid holder.

Two outside zippered pockets on the back of the pack have room for numerous small items like Leatherman, small flash/head light, bug/sun/poison oak stuff, brushes, lens cleaner/cloth, etc. Two outside mesh pockets can hold one to one-and-a-half quarts of water each.

No tripod sleeve or pocket, but it can easily be strapped to the back of the pack.

Fully loaded my pack weighs in at 25 pounds, tripod extra.

I recently got a new backpack, though since it is a LowePro, I won't mention which one. The aspect I wanted to relate was how I sorted through many different pack options. I also use Quickloads and Readyloads, and a Polaroid 405 holder, so I wanted each one, and the film boxes to fit. While I don't have five lenses to carry, I did want room for three (one on the camera when it is folded).

So I measured all the gear I wanted to carry, including the unopened film boxes, and calculated how many cubic inches would match the packs I was considering. The idea was a large enough pack, but not substantially larger than what I needed. The other nice thing was that I could use graph paper to layout all my items, and figure out how they would pack. Someone really ambitious could probably do the same with 3D software.

In the end, I bought a backpack that fits all my gear with some room for extra items. I also choose a backpack that could be expanded, or could fit into a larger frame backpack. My other criteria, which maybe few people would consider, was that the dimensions needed to be airline compliant, so I could carry on my 4x5 set-up.

Quite obviously, my very specific needs are unlikey to match others, but I think it is important to consider all uses to which you will put your new backpack through. Hope you end up with something you like.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

The guys at photobackpacker.com have a great system. The Kelty Redwing 3200 I bought from them was less than at the sporting goods mega-store, and the system of individual padded cases for lenses and camera are brilliant. The F/64 large I've had for the last 12 years got tossed just today, and my back is thanking me. Great service, as well.

Just skimmed the other suggestions, but I didn't see mention of the Kenesis system. It's what I use for all my gear: similar to Lowepro S&F and the ThinkTank system, except the backpack doesn't have any built-in padding. You attach padde bags inside the pack or on the belt for your photo gear. I've used it happily for my 35mm SLR, MF rangefinder, and my LF system. You can of course use other bags than what Kinesis makes inside their pack, but securely attaching them can sometimes (especially when they're large and you don't want them on the bottom of the pack) be a challenge.

That said, it's a proper backpacker's backpack with full adjustments and features. I recommend the system highly.

Here are the givens to consider from my comments:
    Camera - Ebony 45SU - mahogany flavor.
    Lenses - 80 Sch. XL, 135 Roden., 210 Nikkor, 300 Nikkor
    Film Holders - 10 Lesco or 1 pack of Kodak Tmax 100 Readyloads
    Loupe, dark cloth, etc.

Now, in just the last year I've used the Lowepro , Tamrac Expedition 8 and a Mountain Smith Ghost - most recent is the Mountainsmith.

Findings:
    Lowepro is way too heavy for my legs on a day hike in the GA mountains
    Tamrac - lighter than the Lowepro BUT still near 8 pounds empty. Is more comfortable than the Lowepro for my body structure.
    Mountain Smith Ghost - only 2.2# empty! Single compartment with 3/4 open back entry.(Originally suggested by my conrad Ted Harris.) I purchased 4 Snapware Snap'N Lock 100% Airtight/waterproof containers at the Container Store - size is the 4.25 cups/ 1 liter and cost is $5.00 each. These rascals hold each of the above referenced lenses perfectly with a very thin layer of foam I put on the interior. They are great - labled on the outside as to which lens in within - also clear to see the lens. Feather light.
    Then purchased a DN-27 A4 Urethane PC flexible padded case that the 45SU fits in perfectly! Cost of $20. Also feather light.

All of the above gives the camera and the lenses excellent protection while on the trail and yet is nearly 6 pounds lighter than the actual weight of the Tamrac Expedition 8, which is much lighter than the Lowepro!

Now, the above is almost perfect for me BUT I would like a pack that would keep the pack off my back to allow circulation of air on a July hike in GA - sweat factor. Additionally, about 20% of the pack is not occupied and that is just dead air space that I would like to eliminate.
    Just ordered the Osprey Atmos 35 pack - I tried on one of these this past Saturday at a local hiking gear store and found it exceptionally comfortable but they did not have the large frame size in stock!
    Ordered Atmos should be here by the end of the week and I'll confirm that all of my gear will fit in it. I have little doubt that it will from my test at the local shop.

If interested, let me know and I can advise what my impressions of it are relative to the Mountainsmith Ghost.

FYI - found a sale on the Osprey at Mountain Sports web site:
    http://www.mountainsports.com/MSmain...&Detail=108102

Good Hiking, and shooting to you!
    Jack