Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Backpack recomendations

Re: Backpack recomendations

If I may be so bold as to suggest an article I posted on my web site? Click here.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Graeme, nice work! Did you glue the pieces of sleeping mat together with the hot glue, or was it used only to attach the felt?

I do not use a large backpack for my gear. I have found a combination of vest, fanny pack and pouch that works well. Since no one else seems to be using this approach, it might be interesting to have a change of pace.

My equipment:
    Wista DX
    (or Horseman wooden field)
    5 Lenses: Schneider SA 90mm f8, Nikkor W 135mm, Ektar 203mm, Fuji A 240mm, Nikkor M 300mm
    Pentax Spot meter
    6 52mm filters
    6 67mm filters

6-8 regular filmholders and/or 20 Mido holders
    Homemade GoreTex focusing cloth (approx 3-5 ft)
    Manfrotto 3021 tripod w/ 3025 head
    Misc.
    (8x loupe, lens shade, viewing filter, lipstick brush, lens cloth, etc.)

The camera folds up with one of the smaller lenses. It, plus three other lenses in boxes plus all the filters in folding cases goes into a fanny pack (rather large with no bottle holders). The dark cloth straps on to the pack.

Into a short fly-fishing vest go meter, accessories, viewing filter, loupe, etc. The meter and viewing filter are tethered to loops on the front of the vest so that if I drop them standing, they will not hit the ground.

A nylon pouch with a shoulder strap completes the ensemble. It has three pockets and holds up to 8 regular film holders plus my exposure record, or a combination of regular and Mido holders for longer trips. The front pocket of the pouch holds one of the smaller lenses.

All the lenses are in protective boxes of the minumum size.

I usually carry the tripod in my hand, but can strap it on to the pack for scrambling, climbing, etc.

The fanny pack has a padded hip belt for comfortable carrying plus a diagonal over-the-shoulder strap which allows it to be used as a photo bag at my side. I can set up and work out of the fanny pack this way up to my knees in water and never have to set anything down. When set up, the film pouch usually hangs from the center post lock knob of the tripod. Lenses, filters, etc. are readily accessible from the bag or vest pocket.

For longer day-hikes I can usually find room for water bottle and sandwich, etc. in this set-up. I have often hiked 12 or more hours with this rig on, and find it well-balanced and easy to scramble with. I do take extra care that I don't fall on my butt, since this would cause an impact to the fanny pack. Scrambling or climbing up is usually not a problem, but on tricky descents, I often wear the fanny pack on the front so I can sit on rocks, etc. Also, I usually carry some line with me and have lowered the whole bunch of stuff to the bottom of a cliff or canyon with the rope and then climbed down afterwards...

Advantages for me: No shoulder straps, more even distribution of weight, ability to work from the fanny pack as a side bag without setting anything down, easy accessibility to everything and resulting quick set-up time.

I agree that everyone needs to be creative and find their own solutions, but maybe my method will be helpful in some way.

Best
    Last edited by Doremus Scudder; 20-May-2006 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_5116 View Post
    Every one has valid points, however.... I have just moved from 5x7 to 8x10, and have found that the military has the right ideas for packs. They are comfortable to carry for long distances, (especially sans weaponry) fit well and can hold everything you could imagine, up to the full darkroom. With a little ingenuity, the different attachments that hang on the loops and hooks, hold lenses and filters very nicely. Check out your local army surpleus and see. Everything from the "Alice" on up to the full field pack is very inexpensive, light (considering materials) weatherproof, comfortable.....
    I have been thinking this as well. However, there is a company that makes some VERY high quality packs that are designed for hauling serious gear (radios, etc) for special forces type of operators.

Perhaps one of these packs might be workable, especially in conjunction with padded insert pouches and cases like those made by the photobackpacker.com guy.

The company is called Kifaru, and this one might be a good model for LF:

http://www.kifaru.net/MGmaraud.htm

Don't be scared off by some of the product names. The PALS webbing on the inside of the pack might prove to be very handy to secure gear in the pack. One downside is the packs are expensive, and there may be a lead time for them, as you can only order factory direct. They come in a varity of colors (not just camouflage or O.D. Green).