Thread: Making a 8x10 out of a 4x5 P2

Making a 8x10 out of a 4x5 P2

I was wondering if someone had experience in mounting a 8x10" conversion kit on a 4x5" Sinar P2 with the standard (4x5") bearers. Sinar advices the use of a special bearer for more mouvements with a 8x10" rear frame. I would like to try portrait on 8x10 with a 360 mm lens and I traditionnally use a lot of mouvements in 4x5". How practicable is the solution 8x10 frame on 4x5/5x7 bearer?

Thanks!

How much rear swing and tilt will you need for portraits?

steve simmons

I donīt think swing and tilts are a problem. I think its more a matter of shifts. I do use them a lot for 4x5 portrait with longer lenses but that has probaly a lot to do with my technique or my lack of it: when coming close with a 240mm for example on 4x5". I find it easier to follow the subject by shifting and rising rather than change anything else (P2 basically makes you lazy!)
    I am also interested to know if the format kit endangers stability.

I've used an 8x10 conversion on my 4x5 P for two years and have no complaints. The P is rock solid, handles the weight very well and allows me plenty of movement - can't imagine the P2 would fare any worse.

There are index marks on the rear standard bearer that indicate the zero point for shift and rise when you replace the 4X5 back with the 8X10. I'm going from memory, but I think the 8X10 marks are red and 5X7 are green. You will have to shift to the right and lower the vertical shift to center the back and,therefore, lose some range of movement. But as Bill says, above, it will work fine.

Thank you Bill, thatīs the kind of answers I like!
    I also found the trick out with the different marks for the zero pint, put the standards in the 8x10 position and actually saw, that there is much less way for the frames to travel and therefore the question. I guess I īll give it a try and see if I am getting anything on that large negative anyway!

I have a true Sinar 8x10 plus one that was converted from the 4x5 with a conversion kit. I believe the main difference is you loose downward movement using the 4x5 rear standard, which can be compensated by raising the front standard when necessary. Swing and tilt are basically the same. One other minor difference is the real 8x10 rear standard has an extra locking level. I use to use the 4x5 with a 180mm lens and shoot 4x5 Polaroids during set up. Once I am close, I switch to the 360mm and the 8x10 back and 8x10 Polaroids, which gives me a fairly close crop as long as you do not move the front standard. Sinar is a beautiful system, unfortunately all these are collecting dust in my studio now that we shoot digitally; occasionally I still use a digital back on my good old Sinar 4x5. Glad to hear that you are still using it.

Hi there Jeff, Thank you very much for the answer. Though living in Europe, I can help you if your sinar stuff is catching dust! I just got used to Sinar and now I rater use that than anything else.

JJ