Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a field camera equivalent to your monorail

Finding a field camera equivalent to your monorail

I love large format and have been shooting it for about eight years or so now. Unfortunately, I don't find myself shooting as much with it these days, and I think part of it has to do with the bulk of the kit. I use a Linhof Kardan Bi 4x5 monorail that I love dearly. It's about the best camera I have ever used and it's wonderful, but the thing is rather large and weighs at least twelve pounds.

For a while I have been toying with the idea of trading it for a field camera. It's not that I can't carry the camera fairly comfortably - being 24 I've got youth and strength on my side. However, I would just rather travel light at this stage. I would shoot 4x5 far more often if I could just throw a field camera and a couple grafmatics in my messenger bag, put the tripod strap over the opposite shoulder and roll. I'd love to shoot 4x5 when I go out cycling, which I often do with 35mm and 645, and could do so with a more compact LF camera.

The real issue here, it seems, is finding the proper field equivalent to my monorail. I shoot entirely with a 210mm lens and likely won't vary from that any time soon, so I don't need to be able to accomodate crazy-short lenses, but could use a bit of extension for close-up work. I want precision and stability more than light weight, so no wobbly-but-superlight cameras. Movements up front are fairly critical, as I do like to mess around with the plane of focus at times. There can't be any issues with a Polaroid back, as I do like to shoot T/55. Finally, unless I can find someone who wants to do an even trade, I need to find something that will fit my budget of whatever the Kardan will fetch on the current market.

I've been thinking maybe a used Linhof Technika (IV or later) or the Horseman equivalent. I would love an Ebony, but as we all know those are crazy expensive. Any suggestions or thoughts by those who have made a similar transition?

A Linhof Technika will not work for you if you are looking for the equivalent of a mono-rail. I always felt that the Technikas are the exact opposite of a precise mono rail camera. I would look into the Canham DLC45 - an all-metal camera that folds to a compact size, is very light but has (almost) all of the movements of a monorail. I started out with a Sinar F1, loved the camera, but hated to take it on hikes, then tried the 2 Technikas, hated the movements on those, tried an older wooden folder, but it just wasn't for me. Two years ago I bought the Canham and couldn't be happier with it. It handles short lenses (my shortest is a 65mm) and long lenses (my longest is a 300mm) with the same bellows. It will go beyond a 300mm lens!
    Juergen

What features and movements do you need. With a 210 to do closeups I would recommend at least 14-16" of bellows. This will limit your choices.

If it is convenient for you there is a free large f6ormat trade show in Rockford, IL June 9-11 where a lot of cameras will be available for holding, and comparing. You may have to try this type of event to get just what you want for your uses.

steve simmons

Dave Karp

Most of my experience has been with two Cambo monorails. I also used a Crown Graphic for a while when I could not lug the monorail with me. Recently I purchased a used Walker Titan SF from Jim at MPEX. I think it is a wonderful camera. It is durable, pretty rigid compared to most of the field cameras I have seen (no I have not seen an Ebony), well made, and offers front swing, tilt, rise and fall, and back tilt, swing, and shift. It offers plenty of extension (I can use a Fuji 450 C on it using a combination of front base and axis tilts) . It folds up nicely and is a pleasure to carry around in my backpack compared to the Cambos. There are lighter cameras, but this one seemed to offer the best combination of compactness, weight, rigidity, extension, durability, and movements for my needs. If the camera gets dirty, you can remove the bellows and wash it in the sink. It uses Technika-type boards. It might be worth considering.

If yu want to come close to equalling the 'feel' of your Bi Karden then you should concentrate on the metal fields. None of the wood cameras will gie you te sort of precision feel you are used to. You probably will not like the Technika or the Horseman if you use a lot of rear movements (but try one first it is a matter of choice). That leaves you the Toyo, Canham, Wista and Walker (the Walker is ABS but feels like a metal camera in use). You might also want to consider the Technikarden.

I've had well over a dozen 4X5's beginning with a Cambo. Long story short; it was too heavy. bought Zone VI. Still too heavy. Bought Nagaoka. Light but non functional. Back to a 2nd Z VI. Traded that for a Wisner. Wisner is current but no better than the Zone VI. In between others have come and gone. Everything from Burke and james to Toyo monorail and field, to Linhof Color. Bottom line is you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to decide which middle ground is best for you. I'm reasonably content for the moment with the Wisner, but I've kept a Zone VI bag bellows just in case I wind up with one again some time. The Shen Hao actually is kind of tempting. I'd like to use one for a day. I can't or won't afford an Ebony.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

You sound like a future Canham DLC customer to me. My progression was Linhof to Arca to Phillips, and that (finally) works for me, in honing down to a lightweight kit.

The Canham DLC is nice, fairly firm and solid, but with a certain amount of "spring"/flex, which some folks don't like.

Arca Swiss 4x5 - one of the several variants. Rock solid, precise, but fairly expensive.

And as someone has suggested, why not a Technikardan - plenty of movements, a certain familiarity if you are using the Kardan, reasonably compact, not too heavy, fairly solid/rigid (some "spring"/flex, but not as much as the Canham) - and going comparatively cheaply on ebay if you are patient - I got one for less than a used Canham.

I recently exchanged my Arca for a Technikardan (studio stuff was getting less than field work) and don't regret it too much yet.... The Technikardan seems a strange combination of Teutonic ingenuity and machining combined with some odd British "Heath Robinson" ideas!

Also, I much prefer the axis tilts on the Technikardan. The First two have base tilts (until you get into the more expensive arcas I think)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Eric Biggerstaff

David,

What do you like to photograph?

If you "only" use a 210mm lens, there are many cameras that might meet your criteria depending on what you like to photograph.

Other than the Linhof, what other cameras have you tried? What features did you like? Have you ever used a folding "field" camera?

To travel "light" means that you will have trade offs when compared to your monorail and I am not sure there is a folding camera that will give you the same feel (the higher end folding cameras will be the most likely, but they can be VERY expensive). Also, the tripod you will carry when cycling might put a damper on going light as this can often be the bulk of the weight ( tough to fit in a messenger bag as well).

Also, what is your estimated budget based on what you think you can get for your current camera? This will narrow the field.

"Wobbly" is a matter of tradeoffs on weight, function, features, materials,etc. Many a great image has been made with cameras such as the Tachihara or Shen-Hao, are these "wobbly"?

Like many on this forum, I have owned or used several cameras. Each has its benefits and drawbacks, I am not sure there is any single "best" camera out there. What I have learned is that a user will generally adapt to the equipment they have, as all equipment has it's shortfalls. We all have a tendency to relate expense with quality, which is not always the case. For me the "best" camera is the one I am using. One suggestion is to decide what you really like to photograph, contact photographers whose work might be close to yours or that you admire, and ask them what they are using.

Good luck and thanks for the post.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Try a Linhof Color.

It's a monorail, but far more easily portable than most monorails. Movements are more limited than the Kardan - they are about the same as a Technika. The weight is similar to a Technika too. When I've used mine around other LF photographers, I've discovered that the Color is far quicker to set up - I'd often got my shot and packed the camera again before the others had got the camera set up enough to put the lens on.

The 42cm of rail is short enough to pack in a simple backpack (I've used a Lowepro S&F Rover Lite), yet long enough to focus to 1:1 with a 210mm lens.

They are also old, and cheap. But for a "field monorail", only the Carbon Infinity is better (and I know exactly what those cost!).