Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy a used 8x10 field camera

where to buy a used 8x10 field camera

I'm having a hard time finding many used 8x10s on the internet. Does anybody out there know of a good source for this, or, can anybody recommend a less expensive new 8x10 field that is solid in construction? Why are these cameras hard to come by? Were they made in small numbers? I don't need an ultra-lightweight camera or anything fancy. Thanks- Jon

You can check places like Mid-West Photo, Lens and Repro, Quality Camera, etc.

There will be a free large format trade show in Rockford, IL June 9-11. There should be a lot of cameras there. Call the Best Western Clocktower Resort at 815-398-6000. Rockford is about an hour west of Chicago

steve simmons

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

If you are in the US, try Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus, OH. Quality Camera, Badger Graphic, Rod Klukas at Photomark, and Fred Newman at the View Camera Store are also good places to look. Many of the used LF dealers have many more cameras than are listed on their website because of quick turnover. Most of these places will be quite good about helping you decide what camera would best suit your needs, new or used. In answering your question specifically, an 8x10 Tachihara might fit your needs (depending on your definition of solid). They are carried at Midwest and Badger Graphic, and likely the others mentioned as well.

www.keh.com

I have a camera for sale in the apug.org classifieds.

leec

Not sure what you mean by "on the internet", but there's a steady stream of 8x10s on eBay.

Were they made in small numbers?

Many of the same people that made or make 4x5 cameras, made or make them in 8x10.

So if you find a 4x5 that you admire, chances are good that you can find an 8x10 equivalent, with similar features, mode of operation, as well as fit and finish.

What exactly are you looking for in an 8x10 camera? When I went on ebay under Large Format and searched for "8x10" there were 13 cameras on the first page alone. That's considerably more than any one dealer is likely to have.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you are an experienced lf user then perhaps buying on E-Bay may have some advantages. However, if not and you are unsure what to look for dealing with a repoutable dealer may have some advantages. With a good dealer you can either exchange or get a refund if you do not get what you want. This may be more difficult on E Bay.

What lf expereince do you have. Have you used a 4x5 before? If so to shoot what subject?. What lenses did you use?

steve simmons

Ditto to Steve’s remarks with respect to the Large Format Conference in Rockford. I will be sharing a booth there with Reis Tripods and will have some Wehman Field Cameras there to display. I do have a demo camera that you can contact me about off line if you are interested.

Bruce Wehman