Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Technika cams?

5x7 Technika cams?

Sorry if this has been answered already - did a scan of the archives and couldn't find anything. Is it still possible to get lenses cammed for a 5x7 Technika? If so, would it be Marflex, or at this point does one need to find an independent shop that will do it?

5x7 Technika cams?

I have been through the same dilemma with my 5x7; the only answer was to have Richard Ritter custom make a cam for the lens I had. I was not able to find any other solution; Marflex at this time does not make cams. Richard Ritter has his own web site under www.lg4mat.net.

5x7 Technika cams?

Thanks. Richard has done several projects for me already - I'll follow up with him for further info.

5x7 Technika cams?

So you guys actually focus all 500 pounds of a 5x7 Tech held in your hands? That must be quite a feat...

5x7 Technika cams?

CXC, there's no way I'd ever be able to hand-hold a 5x7 Technika - can't even manage a 4x5. But there are situations in which it's useful to be able to focus a tripod-mounted camera with the film already in place and make the exposure immediately, instead of having to fumble with darkcloth and film holder.

5x7 Technika cams?

It is very hard to hand hold, because it is heavy, but it can be done for short periods. I like to balance it on one knee, and pick it up briefly to take a shot. Too bad they do not make a lighter version; it is the only way to take hand-held 5x7 pictures that I have found.
    I have a Gowland 5x7, but the true image size is really about 4x6, and while it is light, it is also very bulky, with a long viewing hood on top. The old Graflex 5x7 cameras are both bulky and heavy, and shoot horizontal only. Usually the shutters are not too accurate either; so the Linhof it is, weight and all!

5x7 Technika cams?

John, I can imagine shooting it hand held, what I can't picture is focussing it hand held, with only two hands...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

5x7 Technika cams?

The 5x7" Technika is no more difficult to use hand held than the 4x5".

The 300mm f:4.5 was not cammed, so I used the GG to focus. Frame and focus, the aim along one corner of the body (I had left my finder behind). Then lower camera, close shutter and stop down, insert film holder, remove dark slide, cock shutter, lift, aim and fire.

Nothing to it!

5x7 Technika cams?

"Ole Tjugen" is the name of a primal god of Norse mythology, who lives in Jotunheimr, land of the giants, and strides the realm bearing a loaded 5x7 Technika, the Official Point-and-Shoot of Mythical Norse Giants. From time to time he makes a fleeting appearance in the principality of APUG or the kingdom of Tuan, leaving the natives speechless at his feats of strength...

5x7 Technika cams?

I find the 5x7" Press Graflex bulky, but quite well balanced and not terribly heavy to handhold. The mirror thud (it's not quite a slap) is a challenge, but contrary to expectations, old LF focal plane shutters are usually quite accurate, particularly if it's an older one with fixed width slits. Mine has a tripod socket for verticals, but it's awkward to use it that way, and handheld verticals are just impractical.