Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photo Web Host - suggestions?

Photo Web Host - suggestions?

And to be a little less geeky...

(In general, there are always exceptions)

If you do your website in Flash, or use a lot of Java Script, etc. it makes it harder for the search engines to "see" the content.

If your site using HTML or XTML text, with tags on the images, it makes it easy for search engines to see it.

Do your text as graphics (gifs and jpgs) makes it impossible to search.

Other sites linking to yours - people going to your site - raises its search engine results.

What search engines are looking for is relevancy, not keywords. So writing - and posting - is good. That's why blogs do better than static sites in general.

you forgot to say that search engines are oblivious to graphic design ;-)

I agree on the text and blogs but real sucess comes when the relevancy is targetted at the search phrases that are being used in the real world. You have to pay google for that information which is why google is worth billions...

Rob, if you look at my site, or Lumino.us, or Stop Design, or slower.net you'll see that the "graphic design" is quite restrained and minimal. They certainly are designed, but the design gets out of the way and lets the content be the most important element.

Most "graphic designers" will try to dominate their sites with overt design, which I think is the wrong choice. That's why ad agencies and graphic design studios are often the worst place to go for a good website design!

So maybe we agree and I certainly am not trying to pick a fight. But I think it takes a better designer to present the content as strongly as possible.

(I actually have written about this topic quite a bit at my other site, http://www.cleanpage.com. Scroll down a couple of entries for the web philosophy post.)

I don't disagree with you frank and you have seen my site which is quite simple in its apparent design. The point I have been trying to make is that graphic design is not the b all and end all of a web site and that it has all been done before. There are plenty of well designed gallery products out there for a lot less than $3000. Why pay $3000 for a new version of the wheel which you could buy for $600 and for which you will get a lot more tried and tested functionality than a bespoke design for $3000 will ever give you.

The companies selling these products make their money on the volume of sales. Bespoke design makes it money on a one off sale. It will therefore always cost more for bespoke design and in the world of web site design it is frequently not better than an off the shelf product.

Far better to spend $600 on a good off the shelf product which provides all the funtionality you may need and to spend the other $2400 on getting an expert to do the indexing which will pay for itself if your images are marketable.

Stop Design is one of the better web design places.

Frank, you sure know how to deliver an understatement! LOL.

Douglas Bowman is one of the relatively few varsity guys in our trade. One of the guys (and gals) who invent new things and set trends.

I know you know, I'm saying this for the benefit of others reading this thread. Want to know how something's done and done right? Look at Stopdesign (Doug) or A List Apart (Zeldman) or Meyerweb (Meyer). There are others, of course, but these guys are the first that come to mind when you mention contemporary web design.

Regards,

Rob,

With all due respect to your photography and without a desire to continue the argument we've had before, I think you confuse web mastering, graphic design and web architecture.

Yes, it used to be the "geek downstairs" who did all those things back in 1996 or 97, but things have changed until then.

you forgot to say that search engines are oblivious to graphic design ;-)

That's exactly what Frank was saying. That search engines cannot see JavaScript, Flash and images. Pages that fare the best with search engines are those that use semantically correct and structurally sound (X)HTML, that use JavaScript, Flash and even images very sparingly. And above all, the pages which render correctly in any user agent (doesn't even have to be a browser!), because no matter how high they rank in the search results, they will ultimately be worthless if they don't function correctly or even don't render at all in the visitor's browser.

If those packages could really do all that and better than real, experienced web designer, then there would be no web designers left today, because none would be needed. Ditto for digital cameras and professional photographers.

Yes, the peanut gallery is now even less likely to hire a professional in either field because "they can do it themselves for a fraction of the price" using this package/camera that "can do all that and more for only a couple of $hundred", but the serious clients will always hire a pro.

so Marko what do you reckon to Ajax?

Oh and Marko I forgot to ask, could you provide a bespoke website with the functionality of www.lightboxphoto.com for $3000 and if not how much would you think would be a fair charge for something similar?

so Marko what do you reckon to Ajax?

Rob, the real question is what do you reckon of it?

Oh and Marko I forgot to ask, could you provide a bespoke website with the functionality of www.lightboxphoto.com

I presume you are talking about lightbox the website, not lightbox the software, when you mention "the bespoke website", right?

Suffice it to say, it would validate for standards and accessibility compliance, it would work on all platforms, in all browsers and other user agents, right out of the box.

Safari inlcuded.

Regards,

I didn't think for one moment that I'd get a straight answer. Thread is now pointless. bye bye