Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Web Host - suggestions?

Photo Web Host - suggestions?

Greetings,

Over the 8 months, I've managed to drum scan and "tune" in CS2 about 50 of the 4x5 and 2 1/4 images I've shot over the years.

I would like to establish a web site to display my work and offer images for sale.

I do not want to get into a lot of programming to set up the site - ideally point and click set up.

I would appreciate lessons learned from this group, suggestions for excellent Hosts firms to use, etc.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and Thanks in advance,
    Jack

I use www.startlogic.com they have lots of templates, gallery and shopping carts. You could probably build a site without too much programing.
    Good luck

I like sitemason

Last I talked with them they were gonna have a special template just for photographers.
    They are great people to deal with. Tell them I sent you.

just google "digital asset management" and/or "image asset management" and take your pick.

just be sure that your host provides php/mysql or asp/msyql/sql server as defined by the requirements of the software package you choose. Also make sure the host you choose gives you plenty of web site bandwidth as a busy image site can use lots of GB per month.

Big Negs Rock!

I use iMac with the iWeb program that's bundled with the iLife group. I really like it and the price is very reasonable -- if you have a Mac. ;-) Take a look at http://www.markwoods.com/

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

One consideration is if you want/have your own domain name. There are many hosts (ISP's) for individuals and/or small business(es) but you're sharing their domain name in your URL and e-mail addresses. If you want your own domain name, you have to register it with an ISP, usually for a small fee for the work and annual fee, and hosting is the cost to consider. It depends on the size of the account and number of services, from Web design, secured payment, e-mail accounts, updating, etc. Some larger ISP's are fairly affordable and some smaller ones are usually a little more. ISP's advertise their rates. Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Jack, I host three different websites on Dream Host (www.dreamhost.com) they are lower profile than some of the other industry leaders but offer solid services at excellent prices. If you want to buiild a site absolutely painlesslywithout tying it into one ISP or another take a look at Contricute 3 from Maxromedia, you can get a full free one month download.

More coming offlist.

Check out page Bluehost.com. $8 a month with plenty of extras.

I use A Small Orange www.asmallorange.com and have a lifetime hosting for $150.00. Otherwise it is $30 a year. It is easy to manage using their cpanal and fantastico scripts. Fantastico allow one to do things like load a discussion forum or creat a guestbook. I created my site using Dreamweaver MX and iview media pro.

www.yosemitecollection.com

If you have no experience, start with Flickr. Seriously. It will teach you a lot and let you make mistakes and experiments cheaply and without investing too much a design you will hate a week later.

Then hire a good web designer who understands clean design, usability, and standards-based code. This is very important as most designers and web geeks are not compentent in these areas, sad to say.

Avoid Flash, WYSIWYG web programs, and canned templates.

My favorite photo site is http://www.slower.net, not so much for the photography as much as how he chooses to display his photos and the design and programming that is incorporated into the site. It is -- to me at least - simply the very best photographer's website online today.

I used to design and build websites, starting with DuPont's first one in 1995. I worked as a dot.com creative director, did several Fortune 500 sites, etc. But I haven't kept up with the skillset required to code properly, and I rather not do things half-a$$. Now I work with http://lumino.us to write code, help me with the geeky stuff, and to help with the navigation and design. So rather than bury yourself in geekdom -- and shoveling another mediocre photography website upon the world -- do everyone a favor and hire a pro (even if they are in Russia or Brooklyn or Timbuktu).

Which isn't that expensive... a couple grand and you'll have a site that will be 1. very easy to modify and update, so it never becomes stale; 2. shows up on search engines much better than other photographer's sites because of the standards based code; and 3. is a pleasure for visitors.

I think investing $2500 or so is money well spent that will easily be recouped in increased sales by having a better site than 99% of your competition.

Think of how many awful photography websites you've seen compared to the good ones...

As for hosting, it's a commodity and many of the places above are simply reselling hosting several times over. Just go with whomever your favorite geek is already using. $6 a month for a basic site is around the going rate.

Good Luck!