Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

I have been following the direction on how to process Hp5 plus with HC 110 without stock solution but from mixing the sirup towater by means of a siringe as shown here :http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    The problem I encounteerd is a too dense negative at a corresponding B solution at 5 min.
    What he recommends is 15 ml of syrup to make 480 ml solution.
    I have tried also 13 ml solution but still too dense but better, but I don't like to leave the film in the soup only 5 min. because the time for N-1 would be too short.
    What are your best results?
    Thank you, Domenico

www.dfoschisite.com

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Double the dilution to dilution H(1:63) and you can use more reasonable development times.
    8ml for 500ml of water should do fine.
    Amund

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Domenico,

Some folks like to use dilution "H," which is also given by Covington. It appears to be half the strength of dilution B. That's 1:63, or 7.5 ml of syrup to 480mm solution. You get longer development times. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't be any help there.

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Domenico,

I had similar results with Ilford FP4, so it may be an Ilford issue. Using their recommended development time for dilution B, I got negatives that looked bulletproof. I went with a lower dilution at first, and then to PMK rather than HC110.

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

first which size bottle of HC110 are you using? Some european sizes have already been partially diluted and the ratios are different from the usual published data. i.e. you must check what it says on the bottle. Having said that and from what you say I suspect that you have the full strength syrup.

You asked essentially the same question a while back and I gave you a suggested dilution of 1:49 developed for 8.5 minutes at 20deg C. Did you try that?

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

If you are using the 16 oz bottle of stock syrup sold in the US, Ilfords time for the 1:31 dilution is close for a diffusion enlarger, subtract 10% for a condenser.

I would use 1:63 for 50% longer time, 7.5 min to get more time in the developer.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

I use HC - 110 and HP5+ all the time, but your times will vary depending on tray/tank/hangers - which one are you using?

Also, I find dilution B in any situation or any format - 25mm to 4x5, waay to strong for my tastes. Try a much weaker solution, one that say requires 10 minutes instead of 5. You will find it is physcially easier to control your devleopment by varying say 30 second up or down on a 10 minutes devleopment time than adding or subtracking time from a 5 minute run.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

I wonder if there is something with Ilford film. I use six minutes in PMK with HP5 and five minutes with FP4 - ok but really too short. These times are about half recommended. All this at 70 degrees, agitating roll film 2 inversions each 15 seconds and sheet film in a slosher 1X every 15 seconds.

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Notify please!

Hc 110 and hp5 plus

Grump,

It seems like to me you are agitating way too much. Try agitating once a minute, that'll slow your times down. Assuming that lesser agitation will give even development with PMK. The next step is to dilute more.

I'm with Joseph about development times - around 10 minutes is usually the shortest I use. More often I use even longer times.