Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selection of 8x10 camera

Selection of 8x10 camera

I want to buy a 8x10 foldable camera (not mono rail type). All my lenses are mounted in Sinar lens broad. Do you suggest 8x10 cameras which accept Sinar lens broad?

Selection of 8x10 camera

Canham is the first name that comes to mind, their 8x10", both the woodden than the metal ones, accept Sinar lensboards...

Ciao

Marco

Selection of 8x10 camera

Don`t let the lensboards decide what camera to get, choose the camera that suits your needs.
    Amund

Selection of 8x10 camera

Ebony.

Steve

Selection of 8x10 camera

As Amund has pointed out, the lens board should be your last concern. There are many other issues which should be given higher priority.

If you have 2 cameras with different boards, you can always get an adaptor, or have one made.

Selection of 8x10 camera

This seems kind of like selecting a vehicle based on tire size, but the Canham JMC is a lightweight folding 8X10 which uses Sinar/Horeseman boards.

Selection of 8x10 camera

Who are we to suggest anything?

We can tell you of our experience with different cameras, but ultimately you need to do the heavy lifting and test different cameras to see what meets your style of working.

You may hate my camera. Your budget might not afford an expensive machine. You might have special working needs such as long bellows or rear rise and fall, etc.

But I agree with those who say basing a camera on a lens board is backwards.

Selection of 8x10 camera

What sort of focal length lenses are you planning on using? This may help rule out cameras with long bellows/extension. What type of photography are you planning on doing? Will you be shooting outdoors? This may dictate how far you plan on carrying the equipment and so may help in the choice. One thing I found when I dipped my toe into the world of 10x8 is that if you think lugging 5x4 gear around is a pain - wait till you move up to 10x8!! Not only are cameras bigger and heavier, but so are the lenses. As for the film holders they are ... really heavy! I found that I was limited to the location by the distance from the car. I quickly filled a Lowepro Super Trekker with camera, lenses, cloth, etc, etc and then needed to carry the tripod in one hand as well as (trying) to lug a large cooler bag full of 10x8 film holders - not funny. So I ditched 10x8 and returned to 5x4!

Selection of 8x10 camera

Lensboard size can make a big difference in the larger formats. Many 8x10 wideangles have huge rear elements that won’t fit into cameras that accept small lensboards. Some 8x10 soft focus portrait lenses are huge barrel lenses that require 6” or larger lensboards to mount flanges on. Or maybe Edward just wants to share lenses with a 4x5 Sinar, or he hates adaptors.

Either way, Sinar/Horseman boards are the new standard in 8x10 cameras. All of the new cameras I know of take the Sinar boards in their 8x10 model. I’m sure there’s an oddball out there, but the 140mm size makes a lot of sense for those of us who own a bunch of No. 3 Copals but don’t plan on buying brass Pinkham Smiths.

Bellows extension is usually the killer problem for selecting an 8x10 camera, followed by weight.

Selection of 8x10 camera

or technika or small toyo boards on lightweight 8x10's (Gandolfi, Phillips, Canham [I think]) - and some are unique - what board does the Wehman use?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog