Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And how do YOU feel about Grants ?

And how do YOU feel about Grants ?

An odd question, perhaps, but one I have to ask. See, I am on my third grant for photography projects and/or exhibition. I am grateful and pleased to have so many successfull "rewards" for my work but at the same time I feel very odd, almost guilty, about the whole thing. I have this mild feeling of being a leech to society and I (almost) feel bad for taking this money but yet, I still apply for these grants greatly hoping for success (and it works). So how do you guys feel about society "paying" you to do something you`d likely do for free anyways?

more power to you. You probably deserve far more than you get. We don't spend a tenth as much as we should supporting such work.

I'd rather see one more good piece of art than some corporation or business get another couple of hundred million in corporate welfare from pork barrelled defence industry contracts or whatever!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Art benefits many and harms no one. Bombs do just the opposite.

Why do we never question paying trully insane amounts of money for destroying other people's countries and lives, but feel that a few bucks here and there for making our own a little better is somehow undignified?

Go for it!

Dear Daniel,

A very odd question. If these are grants made available by legitimate representative governments, your honest application for them and your execution of the work when it is awarded, is what is requested by society. If these grants are from private persons or organizations, the work is what those persons/organizations want. You are only a "leech" if you do not put forward your best effort and execute the work spelled out in the grant.

Patronizing the arts has a long and noble tradition.

I wish someone would give me a grant---but then I'd probably stress over feeling guilty about accepting lots and lots of money ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You should feel blessed not guilty. It is a modern form of patronage and is a mark of your achievement.

For myself.......having had a number of them, major NEA, Polaroid Artist Support Group, Getty etc. I would have to say that they can carry alot of prestige, but they are not very cost effective for me. I am both an art and commercial photographer. The amount of time it takes to pursue grants is mind numbing and takes time away from my commercial work which pays far better than the grants do. I quite applying for grants a few years ago when the reality of the numbers hit me. Now, if a museum wants to show my work and they are willing to pursue the grants to make it happen or a catalogue or whatever, fine. Otherwise I am not going to do it. On the other hand I was nominated for the Eliot Porter Award this year which has a small financial awrd associated with it. I pursued that with a vengence because of the prestige of the award. For what it is worth, Sam Abel won the award.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Jim Ewins

Taxes are not voluntary. They are collected under pain of prison or death. How do you feel about a gift that was stolen from someone else? Corporate or individual, it is still welfare. Some of these grants are to further government propaganda. It is an individual choice.

"I'd probably stress over
    feeling guilty about accepting lots and lots of money ;-) "

Oh - if only they were "lots and lots of money" - they are usually enough to get the job done on a fairly basic monthly wage unless it's one pf the more prestigious fellowships

ps - sounds like you live under a Taliban government jim?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Grants from private foundations are great.

Grants from the government are bad. I much prefer my tax dollars to be spent on the bare essentials of defense, education, highways, law enforcement, and healthcare. But whether my tax dollars go to an evil giant corporation or a wonderful do-gooder individual artist, it is PORK either way. Let's be honest about this.

Perhaps most grants to most artists are mostly positive. There are also positive benefits to half-billion dollar bridges to scantily populated Alaskan islands. But neither are efficient -- or fair -- uses of our tax monies.

Less taxes = more private funds available to buy art, plus a lower cost of living and more prosperity for the artist (and everybody else).

Go for it. The Gvt needs to spend our money on something good. If it is your photography I hope I get to see it some time.

My only problem with grants is I never get to see the good stuff living in the sticks. If my money paid for it I do want to see it. It seems the only time I get to see gvt funded art is when it is "contovercial" and it is being used by right wing nut job to yell about how that funding needs to be stopped.

IMO it is the responsibility of theGvt to foster the arts. You have no reason to feel guilty.