Thread: Good Polaroid Film to Start With?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good Polaroid Film to Start With?

I just got a used Polaroid 545i off of ebay and I"m excited to start shooting. My main goal with polariod film is to have the prints as original pieces of art. I'm planning on shooting color, sepia, and black and white.

I'm confused about the black and white though since there are so many types. I"m debating between type 52 (iso 400) and type 54 (ISo 100). The confusing thing to me is that they say type54 will match a color chrome, which to me means prints with more contrast, due to the limited range of transparancy films. Type 52 looks like it's made to determine exposure and mimic true black and white film. Is this all correct so far?

Which do you think would be better for just the prints? And which do you think would be better to check exposure for true black and white film? Also, I've heard weird rumors about needing to clear Type 52.. like with a brush or something? Is this true?

I would recommend the Type 54. It has a nice tonal range, a speed of 100, and does not have to be coated.

steve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

Andif you want a fast film T72

I would do a search here on the word "polaroid" and you will find a lot of information...or hit the polaroid website, there is a ton of info there
    on all their films...and as far as clearing goes, I think you are referring to type 55 which need to be cleared in a solution in order to use the negative...so basically my recommendation is to start reading...have fun and good luck...
    sara p.

There's a great deal to be said for the coaterless Type 54. I've got some (extremely expired) Type 52 I've been experimenting with (the usual 15 second development time is now up to two minutes, and the prints are still a little weak -- expiration was 1987!), and the coating is a pain in the arse. I remember having to do that with Polaroids in the 1960s and 1970s; seems to me they'd have gotten rid of that requirement in the intervening 30-45 years.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D