Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Auto Shutter or Packard Shutter?

Sinar Auto Shutter or Packard Shutter?

Ok, I have got a 2D Kodak as a "dedicated" portrait camera. I am going to use three lenses in barrel on it. I have lens No.1 with me now: a Dallmeyer 12" f3.5 Portrait lens with front diameter of 4" and back diameter of 3 1/2", 4 1/4 " in length and about 7-8 pounds in weight. The other two lenses on the way are 36cm and 42cm Heliars. I don't have their dimension yet. I will use these lenses in natural light.

A few days ago, I thought I would install a Packard shutter behind the front standard like Jim Galli did. I am still leaning toward that option. But I have read on this board that some users have good experience with Sinar auto shutter. I would like to have some advice from both sides, preferably with people who have used both shutters. I have a Deardorff with a dozen of Dagors and Artars in shutters for my landscape use. The shutter I am going to put on will be used for big and heavy barrel lenses only.

Thanks a lot.

The Packard is the elegant solution given the other variables. But I'm jaded.

Jim,

I understand Packard comes in different sizes. What is your recommendation based on my lenses? #6, #8? Thanks.

Hugo, The biggest one you can stuff into a 2D is 6 3/4" square. I know, doesn't look like it would fit, but you can stuff it in. That gives a 3 3/4" aperture which is just big enough for most anything that won't tip a 2D over frontwards.

Hugo - I have a 2D and was faced the same problem issue with a large sized Cooke lens. Turned out that in order to get a packard large enough for the size of the lens, the packard was much too large to fit inside behind the lens board. I had a large sized packard and ended up mounting it in front of the lens instead of behind the lens board. All that needed to be done was to cut a hole in a board (about 3/8" thick plywood same size as the packard) just slightly larger than the front rim of the lens, line the hole with felt to get a snug fit on the rim of the lens, mount the packard on the front of the board and you're all set.

Jim Galli - this may sound like a dumb question, but if you put a 6 3/4" packard (maximum size) behind the lens board, where do you drill the hole for the hose that connects to the shutter?

Dan,

I have three lenses now I want to use on the 2D, there may be more later on. Do I get a Packard for each lens? Their diameters may not the same. I wouldn't mind mount each lens on a 2D board.

Hugo - for my barrel lenses, I have different packard shutters for each lens. I have been thinking of a way to make a packard board for the largest lens and some sort of adaptor piece for the smaller lenses, but haven't had the time to do it yet. That way, I would only need one shutter for all for them.

One other thing to think about, if you try to do this with a very wide angle lens, since the packard is mounted on the surface of the board and sticks out in front of the len, you may have vignetting problems with anything in front of the packard (like a filter). Obviously, there is nothing to screw a filter onto so you have to hand hold the filter yourself. I experienced this problem with a wide angle dagor when I tried to hold a polarizing filter on the front of the shutter and got a little darkening in the corners.

Dan, Deardorff used to have a Packard shutter adapt board. I have seen a picture of it on this forum. It's about 1"-2" thick with the Packard shutter on the back and the front has a square open into which you can just put on your lensboard with your barrel lens. This way, all you need is to have each of your barrel lens screwed on its own lens board, just like the way we do lenses in shutters.

This 2D will be my portrait camera and I don't plan to use wide angel lens with it. The shortest lens will be 12".

Scott Davis

If you need to fit a shutter inside the camera that is the same size as the bellows or close to it, the way to mount it is with a mounting box- it serves as a spacer, so you can run the air hose through the side wall of the box, then angle it up to meet the exterior nipple.

BTW, the Packard shuter #s are more a type designation than a size designation. I forget which model is which, but they had #5, #6 and #8 models, which differed in that one of them was just the bulb operation with a top speed of about 1/15th of a second. Then there was another model which had an instant option actuated by inserting a pin through a hole in the shutter that would force the shutter to return closed faster, giving you a 1/30th option. Then there are models that have electronic flash sync. The Packard Shutter company is still in business and you can look up the various models on their website. The model numbers and designations there are relevant for current models. There may be older variations that use the same model numbers but differ in specifications.

If you are working solely with B&W, you probably don't need the precision that the sinar-copal shutter gives you, with precisely timed speeds from 1/60 - 8 sek. Thus, if the "instant" 1/10 sec and the B/T of a packard-ideal suits you, then go for it as the least complex solution. However, if you intend to use the camera shooting chrome, the lack of presise timing will be a drawback as a LF exposure outdoor typically will bve in between the 1/10 "instant" and the 1 - 2 seconds you might get away with doing manual timing with the packard & blub. I used the sinar-copals for years, being very satisfied with them but using the mostly in the field for landscapes & with chromes, thus precise timing were important. Fitting a sinar-copal will make your camera a much more universal instrument when it comes to precise exposure outside the packard-range. However, the Sinar-Copal have a much smaller aperture than the bigger packard's so you might find that limiting. People (probably not having used the sinar-copal themselves...), talk about the heavy vibration of this shutter. This is in most parts wrong: the shutter is noisy - espesially during breakdown, but this heavy movements is after exposure is finished, and all movements within the shutter is about moving mass in a circular motion around the lens-opening, not camera-inducing movement due to moving mass in one direction. If you come across a sinar-copal with necessary cables & in nice working order + that it's big enough for your use, mount this one and have a much more universal camera. The sinar-copal shutter is made to be attached behind the front standard, fitting a 140mm slide lock recess, and having a 140mm recess on film-plane side. Cannibalizing an old sinar bellows rewards you with the attachment-frame enabeling you to convert the front bellows fitting of your camera to fit the sinar-copal. The fitting of the shutter to rear part of front standard is more of a handyman-job.