Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: % of Large Format Users

Eric Biggerstaff

% of Large Format Users

Kirk,

The estimates you, Ted and Frank have might be pretty close for the US or maybe even including Canada, but it seems low to me for the entire LF community. I wonder if it would come close to the 100,000 mark globally?
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

% of Large Format Users

To CXC

Actually now that you mention it. I really like my Minolta digi spot meter.
    Still looking for that ebony cable release.
    -Rob

% of Large Format Users

Kirk,

I check this forum a few times a day... I've always found that it offers up a wealth of information! Some of the discussions are truly enlightening and entertaining.

As for large format in general, I also think it's on the upswing, which is a good thing in the long run for all of us. [Kodak, Fuji, and others... are you listening?]

I shoot mostly 4x5 and have started shooting more and more 5x7... 8x10 will be the next format I "investigate!"

Ben,

"...my basement darkroom looks like Dr. Frankenstein's lab, with layers of dust on chemical bottles and cave crickets hopping about."

Sounds like the perfect place to "play!"

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

% of Large Format Users

FWIW, we appear to have several dozen frequent contributors here, several hundred regular participants, and about 6,700 occasional (registered) participants after cleaning out a couple of thousand obvious duplicates. There may still be dupes in the 6,700 figure, along with some uh, let's say "unverified" registrations. My guess would be that we have something close to a 50% overlap with APUG among the frequent and regular contributors, but I have no sense of the overlap with photo.net or other forums with an LF component.

As to the total LFer population, my guess would be something in the range of 40-50K in the US and Canada, perhaps 100K world-wide. How the recent growth of LF users in China plays into that is a question I'm sure all of the marketing folks would love to know.

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

% of Large Format Users

Can not compete with numbers, my country is small (just 4 or 5.000.000 of citizens) bat can give you percentages I know... I know for some 30 or so LF photographers in Croatia, personally, I know some 10 of us, but I'm the only one regular reader here, and one friend of mine is irregular participant on this forum. I have invited all the others but they haven't been interested... Not only here, I have a general photo community site with some 884 members right now (sharing 22343 photos ), but only 3 of us are LF shooters... As mentioned before - not until they have some technical question I can't answer - and than they ask for uri or for print of particular topic...

Old School Wayne

% of Large Format Users

but I have no sense of the overlap with photo.net or other forums with an LF component.

I think a lot of flotsam drifted over during the merger.

As to the total LFer population, my guess would be something in the range of 40-50K in the US and Canada, perhaps 100K world-wide. How the recent growth of LF users in China plays into that is a question I'm sure all of the marketing folks would love to know.

1000 per state? That sure seems high to me. I hope you are right though, or we'll be making our own emulsions sooner than I had planned.

Jim Ewins

% of Large Format Users

For McClure's info, I didn't get interested in 8x10 til I was over 70. "It ain't heavy father, it's my J&B"