Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running CS2 on XP on a Bootcamp MacIntel

Running CS2 on XP on a Bootcamp MacIntel

With Apple's new Bootcamp - which allows XP to boot on Intel powered Macs - I am wondering if Photoshop CS2 will run faster on the XP side rather than being emulated on the PowerPC/OSX side? Of course I know we can only speculate at this point, but soon we should know.

I recall some attractive cross-grade prices from Adobe a few years ago. With CS3 still a year away, and the MacIntels working nicely for other non-Adobe apps, it might make sense to use XP for Photoshop work, then switch back to OSX for general tasks (and better color management, better fonts, and print drivers). Since I'm still using a G4 Powerbook, the sooner I can switch to the MacIntel the better...

(And wouldn't it be great if you could boot your PC in OSX to clear out all the Windows viruses, worms, and spyware?)

It should indeed run faster, in theory. It should also have some inherently OS-related problems, like being more fussy regarding scratch disks. The Windows version always had a very explicit preference toward physically separate scratch disk (though not a requirement).

I ran CS for about a year and a half on an XP box, because I had to. It was one of the most stable professional-grade apps, but that's still an experience I'd prefer not to repeat. It's not speed I objected to, not even the look-and-feel, I've been running PCs since before Windows existed. In fact, at that time it ran faster under XP than under OS X, at least on the boxes I had available. It was the stability, or lack thereof, that made me flinch. It would crash every so often, without cause and warning. I suspected bad memory, but my employer at the time was unwilling to do anything about it.

Either way, if you upgrade to MacBook, your Photoshop will run fast enough for you to be happy until CS3 comes out. No need to cut one leg to extend the other, to put it figuratively. Although someone remarked yesterday that MacBook is the fastest Windows XP laptop currently available, the biggest argument in favor of using a Mac is neither speed nor design - it's stability.

Any of my computers is faster than I am, MUCH faster in fact, it's just that I hate that blue screen...

Well, I currently run CS2 on a real Windows XP Pro computer and it's great.

But what gets me, is why would anyone ever want to buy a Mac and then run XP using Bootcamp. WHY? First of all, you'd be spending a boatload of money for the computer and then you'd be totally restricted with regards to the case and any future upgrades to the system with respect to hardware. Have you ever opend up one of the new G5 cases? The number of slots on the motherboard for expansion cards and the number of 5.25" bays for additional hard drives is limited. Why not buy, or better yet build, a PC with the exact motherboard, disc I/O configuration, video card, RAM, etc? In the end, IMHO, you'll get a much better computer for less money.

So...someone please explain to me the advantage of running Windows XP on a Mac with Bootcamp. Mayber there's something I'm missing.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

@Mike Boden.

Could it be, could it possibly be, that you can run MAC OS X ON THE SAME MACHINE??

Could that be it??

Do you think?

Do ya???

For me I've been a Macintosh user since 1984. It is the OS I know. Unfortunately the GPS I use doesn't work with the Mac OS. It is the only Windows based software I use. So for me to run XP on Boot Camp makes sense. Right now the GPS software won't work on Windows XP using Microsoft's Virtual PC software. Go figure? So I own a $499 Dell laptop to run the GPS software.

Sure I can build a computer from parts, but then I stuck working with XP. My experience so far with my Dell is XP is 5 years behind the Mac OS.

I don't think Boot Camp will change diehard Windows users.

Mike: So...someone please explain to me the advantage of running Windows XP on a Mac

Indeed.

I take it back, there is one ery good reason: I've heard a lot of people saying they have a PC at home rather than a Mac only because they can't run the same applications as they do at work. That's just became a non-issue with this move.

Have you ever opend up one of the new G5 cases? The number of slots on the motherboard for expansion cards and the number of 5.25" bays for additional hard drives is limited.

Well, how many additional cards (other than Firewire, USB, audio, video, extra monitor, etc.) and 5.25" hard disks do you have or even need in your PC?

@John Brownlow

Why do you have to be such an ass? I simply asked a question.

To Marko:

Well, with additional RAID controller cards and multiple hard drives, it quickly adds up to more than what a G5 case can handle.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com

lazy retired bum

I believe bootcamp runs only on new intel macs, not older powerpc macs so one needs a new computer to run it. I also suspect as does the stock market, apple went up 10% yesterday, that future buyers who would like a mac for those mystical "mac" reasons, will now be able to justify buying one and will still be able to use their investment in windows software. The only software I own that is not available on the mac in some form is the microsoft flight simulator.

I had one of the very first macs, purchased in April of 1984, paid $2500 for a machine with 128k of memory, a single 400k disk drive but a really cool interface. I stuck with them for a while but eventually the exorbitant pricing of everything from the basic machine to software, when it could be found, and peripherals, drove me to windows where I've happily resided for a number of years. Macs are still cool though I'm not sure they're cool enough to justify their prices. I think I agree with Mike though time will tell.

Mike - Apple isn't even selling a MacIntel in the G5 case yet. I'm thinking mostly about laptops, where the jump from a G4 to a new MacIntel processor is significant.

I use a Windows box for website testing and oddball medical apps. I really wouldn't choose a PC for general work unless my children were being tortured.

While the Mac may have less room for expansion than an all-out gamer or server box, there seems to be enough good RAID and video options --including add-on chassis and X-Serve mods -- that if you are at the level of building an 8Gb RAM/Multi Terrabyte RAID/Three 30-inch monitor box you can.

Thank goodness for the Apple monopoly and closed standards!

Frank,

I really don't know much about the MacIntel situation except that it's becoming a reality. Truth is, I'm not really following it all that much, because I don't have much need for it.

Aside from that, as you can probably tell, I'm a PC guy versus Mac guy. My first computer was a Commodor 64, then I went Mac and was die hard Mac for quite a while. It wasn't until someone taught me how to build my own PC that I converted over. Now I might be crazy for admitting this, but I actually have seven computers of all different flavors now. One Mac G4, two Linux boxes, three desktop PCs and one laptop PC. The reason I have so many is that I've learned over the years that by dedicating a computer for it's particular task, things run more efficiently. Furthermore, if something were to go wrong with any particular computer, I'm not completely down and can still function.

Someone mentioned earlier about the dreaded blue screen of death, aka BSOD. Well, I never get them. Once the system is built and tweaked out for it's job, then it's like a well oiled machine. On the other hand, we're running G5's at work with OSX for all of our ProTools systems (I'm a re-recording mixer), and every now and then we get the damn GSOD, the Grey Screen of Death, with the crazy Chinese/Japanese characters. Talk about frustration! Isn't this kind of thing not supposed to happen, because it's a Mac?

So a computer is a computer is a computer. There's pros and cons to each operating system. What one person likes about one flavor is exactly why another person dislikes it. To each their own.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com