Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Running CS2 on XP on a Bootcamp MacIntel

Running CS2 on XP on a Bootcamp MacIntel

Marko,

>And don't even get me started on tapes and DVDs! Any removable magnetic media is toss of the dice, and it turns >out optical media is not much better either, at least the recordable variety.

So your solution for hard disk independent backups is???????

jonf: So your solution for hard disk independent backups is???????

If I had one, I'd have it spelled out already. Not having a solution doesn't preclude me from defining the problem, though. Apparently, I'm not the only one concerned about this, there's talk all over the net about it.

So, what makes you think that I am having trouble seeing questionmarks?

If I had one, I'd have it spelled out already. Not having a solution doesn't preclude me from defining the problem, though. Apparently, I'm not the only one concerned about this, there's talk all over the net about it.

Let us know when you are ready to spell out a better solution that what we currently have: dvds, cds, and tape (and others). Or, should we "not even get you started" on that, because your earlier post implied that you had a lot of negative experience with tape and dvds. Where you really defining the problem or telling us your experience with that type of media. Seriously, there are tons of sys admins and billion dollar businesses that back up with tape. CDs and DVD are probably good enough for most people. Most backup plans suffer, not from the media degredation, but from not being executed properly (or at all). Regardless, any (well thought-out, redundant, regular, blah blah) backup system on any media is better than nothing. What do we have besides the magnetic or optical media previously mentioned.

Notice: no question marks. Apparently I used mine up in an earlier post.

Where you really defining the problem or telling us your experience with that type of media.

Having an occasional arrogant prick pop up here just makes me appreciate even more he majority of participants.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

For some excellent discussion on RAID use in relation to photoshop, check out http://www.macgurus.com/forums/index.php

They have a FAQ and technical articles on optimizing a system for photoshop performance. They recommend fast RAID 0 arrays for scratch disks and temporary work disks, but never for longterm storage--for the reasons already mentioned.

They also have performance results of many differnent disk configurations. It looks to me like the performance gain from the super fast raid disks is mostly significant in a time=money production environment, but it's definitely there.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

here are the actual articles ...

http://www.macgurus.com/guides/photoshopguide.php

http://www.macgurus.com/guides/photoshoperfconfig.php

Abuser of God's Sunlight

halfway back to the original topic ...

here are some reviews of a just-released beta of Parallels, which allows you run mac os and windows side by side. this looks like the way to do it!

http://www.macwindows.com/#410a

Nice find, paul.

I like the links. They are selling stuff, but they still didn't overdo it, and their methodology seems ok.