Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor 135mm repair- I made an uh-o...

Nikkor 135mm repair- I made an uh-o...

phi,

Do you know if they replaced or repaired the ring? How much was it ?

Thanks

Roger,

we've all been there - frustrated, ready to give up and just go back to 35mm or MF. We all make the stupidest mistakes. I dropped a perfectly fine 90mm Rodenstock in Monument Valley and the glass of the rear element had such deep scratches that the lens was worthles afterwards. We all forget to close the shutter, or pull the darkslide when the shutter is still open, we forget to set the meter correctly and on, and on, and on.
    I've been at this LF beast for almost 4 years now and every now and then I feel like I'm back to square one - the more I learn the more questions I have, BUT that's also the beauty of this hobby - there's always more to learn.
    Stick with it, send the lens to SK Grimes, or to Carol Miller (that's where I send all my shutters and lenses) and before you know it, you'll be out shooting with that lens again. And when you get that first perfect (or near perfect) picture, you'll know that it is all worth it.

Do NOT give up

Juergen
    Juergen

Roger,

The caliber for 8x10 is claymore.

John,

At this point, If I was using an 8x10 I'd save the claymore for myself. ;-).

Huh, you guys must be channelling Hercules, coz when I'm lugging an 8x10, my only option is an airweight j frame..

gfen, with nothing useful to add.

Scott Davis

I think the appropriate caliber for 8x10 assassination is an 1861 vintage .58 caliber Springfield rifle firing minie balls. For a 12x20, it's an 8 inch Parrott gun.

As a co-instigator of this slightly bizarre diversion, I feel obligated to mention out that Scott has overlooked an important historical point: the Springfield and Parrott rifle are indeed appropriate, but only if one is using a cherry-wood or mahogany camera with a brass barrel lens and Waterhouse stops, and processing wet plates in a tent.

For a magnesium 8x10 with a multicoated lens, the ordnance of choice is in fact the claymore; if we move up to 16x20 or 20x24, we have to honor precedent and adopt either a 12-inch mortar or a tactical nuke, depending on the era of the camera.

And incidentally, to fill out Roger's schema in the other direction, it seems that we would choose .25 ACP for half-frame 35mm, .22 rimfire for a Kodak Disc camera, and reserve the .17 calibers for Minox and its ilk.

Bizzarre diversion yes, and oh so fun. I'm getting a kick out of this, although I feel outgunned by film sizes and calibers. Points for the aesthetic references to brass and wood selections.

I'm an AR-15 kind of guy, so should I go for a Canham all metal field camera- black finish etc.. ?

Good times ;-)

Roger: Yes, but only if the Canham front standard rides on Picatinny rails. To be completely correct, you would want to use two Grafmatic magazines taped back-to-back, but in California, you are limited to 10 frame capacity.

This is getting really strange, isn't it? It must be Friday...

Does anyone have the link to a video of what appeared to be a pro in a studio who completely lost it? It shows that after realizing that he had no film in the magazines, following an important shoot he trashes his 5x7? , light stands, some things off camera, and when the back drop falls over his head keeps swinging with what looks like a tripod leg. His assistant implores him to stop but then leaves the area.

When I first saw it I was shocked, I mean what he did to the bellows etc was obsene. But now i'm in the mood to see it again.

I refer to one video as I hope there would only be one such video... wouldn't there?