Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor 135mm repair- I made an uh-o...

Nikkor 135mm repair- I made an uh-o...

afterthought - I would hope the guy in the video -clip does not own a gun.

It was on a Geocities site I think.

"but in California, you are limited to 10 frame capacity."

Ahh, the joy of living in Arizona. I can use the 40 frame Grafmatic back- at least until the assault camera ban passes...Actually, a nght vision device would be great for low light focusing. I could have used one last night. Any tips on low/ no light focusing ?

It's definitely a Friday thing, with a touch of spring madnes thrown in for good measure.

Terence,

If you find that video of me, err I mean the guy trashing his 5x7, please post a link. ;-). I imagine it to be quite entertaining.

Mr. Monroe,
    Welcome to LF.
    Subminiature- .22 rimfire
    Miniature[35mm used to be called miniature]- .25ACP
    6x4.5,6x6,6x7-.38Spec.
    4x5 and larger are used with a tripod.Tripods have legs. Things with legs can charge when wounded.
    4x5-.30/06, 220grn solids
    5x7-.375H&H
    8x10-.416Rigby or .505 Gibbs
    11x14 and larger-.577NE or .460 Weatherby
    A Gandolfi must only be shot with a double rifle. Side-by-side, there is no other kind.
    All digital will be taken care of by the EMP of a nuke.

But seriously, have patience. Perhaps using the camera for something like tabletop or studio work would help raise your familiarity with the various manipulations. Alens shade screwed to the front of your lens at all times will prevent filter ring dings
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Any tips on low/ no light focusing ?

Tried a laser sight? You should be able to see and focus the spot at a considerable distance...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'm frightened of you guys!

Grimes retrued the original filter ring, there was slight paint loss but it works perfectly.

E. Von Hoegh and Juergen,

Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement. The table top approach makes a lot of sense.

Since I last posted, I went out and shot some more frames at night. I should have brought my Surefire to use as a focus aid, I had a heck of a time. I'm going to take my film to the lab tomorrow and wait to make a verdict about the LF realm until I've scanned the frames (color neg). I've got to say that I'm leaning towards selling it and picking up a Mamiya 7II and a couple of lenses for this project. I've always been a camera and one or two lens or two-kind of shooter. The LF is a huge stretch for my way of working, and it might not be the best fit. I really respect the LF approach and the medium, but it might just be a matter of accepting what fits and what doesn't for me. There's work I want to get into and I don't have the luxury of time to become proficient in LF. The resolution of 6x7 is enough for me, and I still have high speed shutter sync with the leaf sutter.

The thing I really like about the LF community is the serious and comtemplative culture that I've found on both this forum and View Camera magazine. There is a level of maturity and sophistication in the LF arena that I'm hard pressed to find in the broader photography world. Sure there's an interest in the cameras themselves, but a geniune interest in making art. I still need to continue to slow down more and more. See, before making a frame. The LF approach will benefit the user of any format. Heck, maybe I'll hold onto the camera just so I can hang out here. If nothing else.

And besides, you guys know a lot about guns...

Parrot gun?? One more thing for PETA to gripe about. Besides if you leave the feathers on, the range is greatly reduced.

Mr Monroe,
    Was cogitating on your posts,perhaps these comments can help.
    When I first started using 4x5[1987] Idid so many stupid things , it was embarrasing.The solution, for me, was to purchase a bunch of EFKE film, at that time$7-something/25sheets and play with the camera on all sorts of nonsensical subjects-lots of machined metal, glass items, parts of the car I was"restoring" and etcetra. The point is, that familiarity with the camera will only come through use, if you use the camera you will make mistakes. Learn from them. Don't sell the 4x5 based on frustration. Slow down, my problems can be traced to the 35mm/rollei mindset-meter-shoot!
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I think all LF is more akin to black powder. Roll film is smokeless. Digital is laser.

8x10= .50 Sharps

11x14= 4 bore punt gun

12x20 most definately 8 inch Parrott! Would 16x20=Dahlgren?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White