Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripod sleeves

tripod sleeves

Can anyone tell me the material and where to buy sleeves/padding for tripod legs. When I carry over my shoulder they dig in something fierce. B&H carries some but they are a bit pricey ($35.00) - they seem to have zippers and stuff. They don't say how much they pad or weigh.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

tripod sleeves

every time i walk a couple of miles with the thing slung over my shoulder like jesus, i swear i'll get some padding for it some day. i always planned to just use foam pipe insulation, and attach with duct tape. padding two of the legs would suffice.

Big Negs Rock!

tripod sleeves

The cushions used in the MP industry are shaped like a square baggy about 12x16. They are a durable poly material on the outside and I don't have a clue what's on the inside. They're very durable and last for years. I'll bet you could make one (and quilt the padding so that it doesn't shift) for not a whole lot.

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

tripod sleeves

I use them - yes they are great for padding when carrying a loaded or unloaded tripod over the shoulder, though I initially got them because so much of my work was in sub zero temps and it makes handling a metal tripod much more comfortable.

The innards on most of them are really just different diameter closed cell foam pipe insulation. I started off going the duct tape route. But over time the tape gets sticky or tears, tree branches take chunks out of the foam etc - but it is by far the cheapest way to go...

I've bought the Optech brand before, and the best thing abut the is the stretchy "sock" that goes over the top and protects everything. I could have probably hunted down something similar to go over a foam and ductape set-up, but by then would probably have wasted more than $30.00 worth of time and gas doing it....

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=49&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=

I've had some of these on a couple of tripods for 5 or 6 years at least with no problems - and they are a bit cheaper than the Bogen ones at B&H
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

tripod sleeves

Even cheaper is foam pipe insulation. 8' lengths for about $2.00 at Home Depot. I've had this on my Bogen pod for many years. Did I mention that it's C H E A P !

tripod sleeves

I went to Lowe's a couple of years ago and bought some gray-colored pipe insulation and stuck them on my old Bogen 3050. It's not very pretty, but it gets the job done.

tripod sleeves

Foam pipe insulation and duct tape worked for me, cheap not pretty.

tripod sleeves

Methinks "not pretty" also helps deter thieves...

tripod sleeves

Did the same thing - went to Home Depot and for $2 got pipe insulation, cut it up and used Gaffer tape to secure it to the tripod legs - works like a charm - as others said - not pretty but it sure does the job.
    Juergen

tripod sleeves

Bear with me on this:

$35. is not pricey for bringing something to market that you may want to buy.

With that said - wrap some foam insulation or simply buy them from whoever sells what you may need.

Otherwise eat some more food to beef up the shoulder portions of your body to more easily carry. Will probably cost more than 35. though over the long haul.

Also - carry an old sweatshirt wrapped around your shoulders & if you get chilly either wrap your body or the tripod. Your choice.

Could consider simply enjoying other's photographs as well & get out of the game.

Lastly - with a screen-name like yours - with no details - consider using your real name if you have the pucks to do so

Sorry - I could not stop