Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software for a Howtek D4000

Software for a Howtek D4000

Clemens,

Glad to hear that the firmware upgrade worked. It is a stressful experience!

I'm looking into intermittent banding issues as well. My banding is visible in deep shadows only.
    First I thought it was a calibration problem, but the bands are never in the same place. I'm fairly convinced now that the problem is related to voltage variations at the light bulb, which in turn could depend on external voltage variations or internal variations. Aztek recommends a voltage regulator. The other thing to do is to clean and reseat all connectors and circuit boards.

Software for a Howtek D4000

Silverfast on a pc banded very severely when I tried it. As stated no drivers required but needs the latest Adaptec ASPI installed to run on a pc. When Windows detects and wants a driver just click next and step on thru and it will stop asking.

Trident 4.0 PE on a mac using OS8 or OS9 works very well, both negs and trannies.

Some suggestions for banding: Change bulb for tranny and make sure seated well and aligned to end of optic cable. A link to good prices http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/1490/oc/64255/item.html

Change drive belt, most buy from Aztek but some have found large orings from a machinery supply will work. Too small will wear bearings though.

Check drum mounting pads on end of drum, they need to be replaced periodically, buy from Aztek.

DO NOT grease D4000 lead screw!

As someone stated, its a good idea to remove and reinsert all pc boards and cable connectors, the ribbon cable connectors are high intermit failure items and Aztek replaces them on a PM.

D4000's had a extra addon filter board installed to reduce noise and ripple, does yours have it?

Check for banding with a reflective and a known good bulb, might help to isolate problem better.

Also checking rgb channels separatly might help. Make sure calibration strip on drum is good, not wrinkled or bubbled up on the inside of drum or tape in calibration areas. There's more but these tests should find or at least eliminate some possible problems.

Re: Software for a Howtek D4000

Which version of silverfast are you running

I'm an avid phographer and film editor in hong kong
    i just came a cross a used Howtek drum scanner that a company bined, after many hours of taking the thing apart and ordering lamps I now have the thing ready to rock and roll, i have a old G3 sitting in my studio and I'm tying desperately to get a version of silver fast which runs under os9, i have contacted silverfast, who informed me that they do not ship silverfast os9 any more, on the inside of the lid of the scanner there is a printed serial for silver fast os9 can any one help

with a copy of silverfast 0s9 or verion Silver 6.4.2 to run on osx 10.1 or 10.2

Just waiting to be developed..

Hi Ricci,

I went through the same thing a while back, silverfast is not helpful at all with older versions.
    I too have a SN# that came with one of my 2 Howtek 7500's and i finally gave up and ordered DPL Pro.
    You can try some of the Silverfast forums. Someone might have a copy.
    If you can afford DPL basic, i would go for that. Its fantastic and well supported! Evan at Aztek is great.

Good Luck!
    P.S. If you find a copy, please let me know. I would like to try my copy since i own it.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

I'd second Ian's recommendation for the DPL software - both versions are currently cheaper than they have ever been and the 4000 is a great scanner. The combination provides you with just about the best film scanning you can get.

Just waiting to be developed..

I just checked Aztek's website, they are still offering DPL standard for $500.
    Its a really good deal all around. I bought the standard version last year for our 7500 and the pro upgrade a few months later.
    Our Premier is also running DPL.
    Its worth every single penny i paid and i will never go back to Trident.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express