Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar "Norma" or Sinar "Standard"?

Sinar "Norma" or Sinar "Standard"?

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a camera that I *believe* to be a Sinar "Norma". It is a 4x5 rail camera with an interchangable 8x10 back and bellows. It uses a seperate shutter that sits behind the front standard. Everything is in excellent condition.

The current owner, who bought the camera in the early 70's, calls it a Sinar "Normal" and feels sure that is the name. Is anyone familiar with this? I find plenty of info on the Norma (including this site), but nothing on a "Standard".

It seems like an ideal camera. Totally modular and appears to be quite sturdy and portable (for an 8x10 anyway). I've read the comments in the archives, but wonder if anyone can relate any experiences with the camera (positive or negative).

Thanks again!

Hey man, Its called a NORMA and they are the best Sinars ever made, way better quality put in to those cameras then the ones they make today. I used a 4x5 one for a wile when i was just starting out and then moved on to a feild camera. But I highly recomend it an really solid camera.

Austin

There is an earlier Sinar than the Norma, which I think people call the "standard". The Norma has a lot of refinements but the Standard is collectiable and usable. However, I do not know the exact differences between the models, other than that the Norma has green metal components and the first version is black -- I think (not knowing 100%).

http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm has lots of Norma photos and info

This gentleman has kindly provided a scanned reference which should help in identifying if it is Norma or Standard.

http://www.king-platypus.com/sinar/norma/sinarnorma.html

I have purchased items from him and he is a good guy, less expensive than Glennview too. But Glenn is a hoot.

The behind the lens Sinar shutter is optional, easily removable, and has had several variations. It can be a useful item if it is in good condition and you have the expensive cables (not a normal cable release) and a collection of Sinar mounted barrel lenses. However most togs find it more practical to use individual shutters (Copals and Compurs). Personally I'd sell the albatros shutter on eBay.

Oh, and I think Sinar Normas are the best camera Sinar ever made, and they are at least as good as anything ever made by any other company. You can adjust the focusing gearing, clean them, interchange widely avaialable parts, and build whatever you need. Only Linhof and Arca-Swiss are in the same league, and Sinar has the advantage of having more parts on the market (lower prices, easier to find stuff).

Pair it with the matching Sinar pan tilt head on a heavy 4 or 5 series Gitzo and you have a world class outfit for peanuts.

Thanks Austin and Frank. I took a look at the Norma brochure on http://www.king-platypus.com/sinar/norma/sinarnorma.html, and it calls the camera a "standard", which appears to be the basic model, as oppossed to the "expert" which included an extended bellows and wide angle bellows. So maybe it's just the feature package for the Norma. That brochure is the same one that comes with the camera (at least, the cover is the same), and the camera is olive green. So I'm pretty sure it's a Norma.

I use the norma 5x7 and also have a 4x5 changing set for it. An incredible camera, not its construction - being a standard u-frame design save for the base tilt (but not yaw free) and having rather standard features, but the excellent workmanship/fitting + uncommon high quality of material used in important details. You will se that tightening-handles for swing & shift is made off stainelss steel, main tilt rod of black steel, focussing collar of stainless steel - this camera is very perfect for anyone planning to thug it around in a less than perfect backpack - as I do.... (for transport: slide both standards off rail with bellows, lens & back in place , secure this sandwich with rubber-band in big bubble-wrap envelope, rail standing alongside, rail-mount-block left on tripod - works even with the 15$$ backpack from down the street...). Workmanship is, in my opinion, only surpassed in the Linhof Bi Kardan, which is quite a bit more advanced in features but still an u-frame design, dissappeared quite fast as it were introduced at about the same time (around 1970) as the reveloutionary Sinar P, which took control of the high-end LF market. The later Linhof TL/GTL supercameras never managed to rival the P/P2 reign). The Sinar Norma being close to 100% integrated in the current & very widespread Sinar LF - system, makes the Norma a much more sensible choice for the USER of LF, while the Bi Kardan is the jewel for anyone admiring mechanical perfection and not needing to try to find a rail-extencion for it.... Good luck with the best user-monorail out there....(my opinion only, stay cool).

Thanks Tor. I really like the camera, especially the modularity and build quality. I'm glad to hear it can be transported easily. I'm not sure if it's OK to post queries on prices here, but the seller is asking $1,500 for the package, which includes 4x5 and 8x10 backs, original cases, Sinar shutter, 2 barrel lenses 8x10 film holders, developing tank and hangers, original cases, manulas, etc. It's all in excellent plus condition. Is there anything else I should consider in this same price range? Such as some of the other cameras you mentioned? I am looking for something to use around town, for short hikes, and for portraits. Thanks again.

Scott Davis

That sounds like a fantastic price for that kit. REAL hard to do better.

agree with scott, very hard to go wrong on that set, even when not knowing what glass is in the set... the 8x10 Sinar Norma backs is about the most stable 8x10 I have seen on any monorail, and is more stable than fitting a 8x10 conversion kit to a Sinar P standard bearer (I have used both). This is due to Sinar giving the Norma 8x10 back an extra long rail-sleeve, long focussing track and omitting rear rise&fall in favor of increase stability. If You want to have a 8x10 monorail which CAN be carried around, and is unlikely to be damaged in the backpack, I guess you have found it...

Re: Sinar "Norma" or Sinar "Standard"?

Sinar Norma is the camera itself. Sinar Standard is the basic setup, Sinar Expert is the camera, souped up. That's about it.

-Dan, have been interested in Sinar Normas for twenty-five years.