Thread: Magnifier for use with 4x5 Graflex SLR

Magnifier for use with 4x5 Graflex SLR

I have a 4x5 Super D Graflex and wonder if there is a tall magnifier which can be used with this camera. Any help will be appreciated.

Let me know too!

I was going to pick up some magnifying reading glasses at the store tomorrow for mine. I also bought a faster lens from Jim Galli (another commercial endorsement... sorry).

I wonder if you could adapt the Sinar binocular magnifier for the Graflex. I've used one, but I don't own one myself, so I'm not sure how far it has to be from the groundglass to focus. It's mounted on a plate and hinged so that it can flip out of the way, and the plate is mounted on a bellows that attaches to the groundglass back. If the dimensions are right, it might be possible to mount the hinged viewing lenses inside the Graflex hood. Alternately, I suppose you could remove the Graflex hood altogether and replace it with a Sinar bellows and viewer or another manufacturer's bellows magnifier, like the Linhof.

I've occasionally used clip-on magnifiers that attach to a pair of reading glasses to view the ground glass on a view camera . I wonder if you could clip or otherwise attach a pair inside the focus hood, and possibly, still be able to fold it. Mine came from a fly fishing store..

I have had the same difficulty and the solution I came up with is to remove the hood each time I need to focus with my loupe. I have also added or adjusted the "infinity stops" on my 4x5 Graflex Pacemaker for my 190mm lens so I can take a faster than usual shot. These "stops" can be adjusted for your individual lens.

I purchased prescription reading glasses optimized to 10 inches. (That's my preferred reading distance, anyway.) I had to look around for an optometrist who knew how and was willing to do this.

This is an excellent aid for viewing the ground glass, but I don't know that I'd use it for focusing. It's hard to beat a 4x lupe in this regard.

It seems that other people have been trying to solve the same problem. I have had glasses made optimized for about 9-10 inches. The problem is trying to focus on fine detail. I use a magnifier with the View camera but that does not help with the Super D. At one time I had a magnifier of about 2-2 1/2 inches long which worked very well with a waste level 6x6. That is the type of magnifier I would love to fine to work with the 4x5 Super D. I do not know if the Sinar bino could be adapted to the Super D and removing the focus hood would not be practical except for stationary objects. I will look to see if I can find a clip-on magnifier with sufficient power to work.

I had a little bit of success once by turning a cheap, toy telescope upside down (placing eyepiece on the gg). It was long enough for me to hold it and move it around the ground glass while still holding the camera (I used the same hand as the telescope-holding-hand to stabilize the camera at hood-height).
    I never repeated the experiment, but I suppose it could work with a good quality mini-telescope too, no?