Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a 150mm lens

Choosing a 150mm lens

When choosing a 150mm lens, what criteria do you use to choose between lenses? I'm looking at 150mm lenses but notice there are quite a range of them for specifications, namely angle of view. Realizing that use is an important criteria, landscape, architecture, etc., but you could only afford one lens, what criteria would be most important? An example is the Schneider 150mm Symmar series and Symmar XL lenses.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Choosing a 150mm lens

Scott, you didn't mention what format(s) you shoot and that is critical information. If you only shoot 4x5 then any of the standard plasmat lenses will serve your needs well (e.g. the Nikkor W series, Fujinon CMW series, Schneider Apo Symmar ... recently discontinued ... or Apo Symmar L, Rodenstock Apo Sironar N/Caltar IIN. Similar earlier but still modern multicoated lenses from these manufacturers will also do the job.

If you shoot 5x7 then you need a larger image circle/mor ecoverage and will want the Apo Symmar L or Apo Sironar N and the now discontinued Apo Sironar W is the best choice for some movement.

If you shoot 8x10 then you would need to step up to the Super Symmar XL.

Each time you move up pin coverage you also move up in the size and weight of the lens thus, if all you shoot is 4x5 any of the first group will serve you well and are relatively small, light weight lenses in #0 shutters. When you step up some of the lenses are in #1 shutters (e.g. the Apo Sironar W) and are larger and heavier. The Super Symmar XL is a large,heavy lens although still in a #1 Shutter and is overkill unless you need it for 8x10 wide angle coverage which is what it is designed for. As an example, I shoot both 4x5 and 5x7 and my 150 of choice is the Apo Sironar W because it gives me adequate as a moderate wide angle on 5x7 and more coverage thanb I need as a slightly wide 'normal' on 4x5. It is worth the small amount of extra size and weight to me to be able to carry that one lens and use it for both formats since I will frequently carry a 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Choosing a 150mm lens

If shooting 4x5, then IMO, the best 150mm lens you can ever use is a 135mm.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Choosing a 150mm lens

The first criteria is what format you're going to be using, which is unstated in your post, so I'll assume 4x5. The 150mm Schneider SS XL is an 8x10 lens, uses 95mm filters, and likely costs 4x what a decent 150mm 4x5 lens does and weighs 6x as much. I think you mean angle of coverage instead of angle of view?

For 4x5, the criteria typically used are weight, brightness at maximum aperture, and coverage. People wanting brightness at maximum aperture and coverage would generally choose the latest f:5.6 offerings from Schneider or Rodenstock, while those wanting an ultralight hiking/backpacking lens might choose a 150mm f:9 process lens like the G-Claron, or a f:6.8 Dagor.

Always good advice is to start with a new or latest-version used lens. The Caltar series that are Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N (72 degree) are always good choices in new or used lenses. The Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S is an excellent choice (and mine) for a wider range of reproduction ratios and a little more coverage at 75 degrees. That should be enough to accomodate 5x7 or 6x17 if you choose one of those formats. If I had only one, this one would be it (although I prefer the 135mm FL).

Steve

Choosing a 150mm lens

The only thing I can add is that, if you are a frequent hiker/backpacker who likes to keep weight to a minimum, the Docter Germinar W is arguably the best 150mm f/9 optic available for 4x5. It is multi-coated and much lighter than the f/5.6 plasmats (165 grams in Copal 0 shutter, compared to, say, 250 grams for a 150mm APO Sironar S). Kerry Thalmann is still selling a few of them here: www.apug.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=756&sort=1&cat=2&page=12. I own a 240mm Germinar W and have been very happy with it.

Of course, focusing is a bit darker with an f/9 lens, although for daylight applications this should not be a big deal. If you shoot architectural interiors or from the bottom of dark canyons, etc., then an f/5.6 lens is preferred.

I shoot both 4x5 and 8x10 and have found that, for the most part, trying to shoot lenses common to both formats compromises both. For 4x5, I use a 150mm APO Sironar-S, as it is reasonably light, has excellent coverage for the format, and projects a very bright image on the ground glass (I only occasionally hike with the LF kit these days). For 8x10, I use the 150mm SSXL for the same reasons.

Choosing a 150mm lens

If you are working with 4x5 you need an image circle of at least 161-165mm, more if you want to be able to use the rise and fall movements front and/or rear, the shift movements front and/or rear, or the front swing and tilt.

Two other considerations are size and weight and max f-stop. The f5.6 lenses will be a little bigger while the f8 or more lenses will be a little smaller.

If you are new to large format you can go to this link and find several free articles that might be helpful

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

Personally I usually suggest staying with a lens mfg'd in the last 10-15 years unless there is a specific reason for using an older lens.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Choosing a 150mm lens

My understanding is that angle-of-view is determined directly by focal length. That is, all 150mm lenses have exactly the same angle-of-view. Perhaps you mean angle-of-coverage, which is related to image circle. If that's what you are after, a larger image circle is often better in the field than a smaller image circle. Two reasons. First, more movements which can matter if you are trying to keep the film plane plumb and need lots of front rise to see the tops of the trees, for example. Second, a larger image circle usually puts your film in the "sweet spot" near the center where aberations and light fall off are less than near the edges of the image circle.

For a 150mm lens, I picked the Rodenstock Sironar-S for this reason. It's razor sharp, small and light, and has an image circle I've yet to find the edges off in three years use.

Bruce Watson

Choosing a 150mm lens

Kerry is sold out f the 150 Germinars.

Choosing a 150mm lens

<<<<<My understanding is that angle-of-view is determined directly by focal length. That is, all 150mm lenses have exactly the same angle-of-view. Perhaps you mean angle-of-coverage, which is related to image circle.<<<<<<<<<<<

The above is confusing to me.

Angle of coverage is related to the design of the lens but not necessarily to the focal length. For example, a 150mm lens with an agle of coverage of 75 degrees will have a slightly smaller image circle than a 150mm lens with an 80 degree angle of coverage. Here, the film format size does not matter. The design of the lens is the design of the lens.

Angle of view is determined by the film format size. A 150mm lens on a 4x5 will have one angle of view but the same lens on a 5x7 will have a larger angle of view. In this case the lens's angle of coverage remains the same but the larger film size simply takes a bigger piece of the image circle.

The necessary angle of coverage is generally determined by the diagonal measurement of the film. For 4x5 it is between 161 and 165mm. A lens with an image circle, which is determined by the angle of coverage, smaller than that will vignette the corners, a lens with an image circle just that size will cover the film area but not allow for movements, and a lens with a larger image circle will allow for some movements.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Choosing a 150mm lens

What criteria? At 150-180 I would buy the lowest priced multicoated lens in good mechanical condition from the four most common lens makers. Optical quality is very good in this range and there is very little difference between brands. Since you new at this you may want to go with a 5.6 to make focusing a little easier. The XL lens above 110 I believe are intended for formats larger that 4x5 and this should be reflected in higher prices. Have you read Kerry's articles?

Choosing between 135, 150, and 180, the main consideration is the lenses above and below. For me, I knew that I've never taken a landscape shot with a normal lenses, so I went from 110mm to 210mm and skipped "normal" completely.