Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly photographs of nothing

Ugly photographs of nothing

Sorry for the defensive title but I have a feeling the following might offend the aesthetic sensibilities of some here. Or in other words some of ya are going to flat out hate this stuff. Hey ho. Others, I hope, might get a kick.

These are some 4x5s from my ongoing Wild Things project... Linhof + 90mm on Portra NC 160 converted to BW in most cases.

johnbrownlow.com/wildthings/XIIa/

The 4x5s are really a sideline, most of the traction is coming from the Noblex... you can see that stuff here:

johnbrownlow.com/wildthings/XII/

The Noblex stuff is Ilford Pan F, wish I could get it in 4x5. Hmph.

Hopefully Ansel is spinning in his grave. But I read all his books.

Definately a kick. They are some beautiful images of a tough subject.

don't think they're ugly at all.. i think it's a great series.. love to see more in the future

Makes you appreciate how hard the settlers worked to clear the land. And why villagers were afraid of the forest.

Well done, thanks

I don't know why you think they are ugly? Give yourself a break man! You have potential and your subject matter is interesting to me on several levels.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

they're my favorite kind of ugly of my favorite kind of nothing.

Like others have said, this is really good work. There's a lot to be said for photographing the kind of landscape that most of us can actually see on a routine basis as opposed to the mountains, rivers, aspen groves, etc. all photographed at sunrise or sunset and with a warming filter added to make it really "pop" that seems to make up so much of commercial landscape photography today. I don't know that Ansel would be spinning in his grave, he wasn't a particularly dogmatic guy and I think he might very well have appreciated your efforts. FWIW I thought the black and white images worked better than the color for this subject matter.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My favorites are the B&W 4x5's, especially the ones on page 2 of the website. There's a wonderful wild chaotic un-composed look to them, but they are somehow aesthetically satisfying at the same time--but just barely! I think they're killer, John. It won't be long before you have a cohesive series of images (or maybe you do already) that will be fun and rewarding to put out into the world. I think Ansel wouldn't be spinning in his grave at all-- he'd be phoning up his favorite galleries to give you an introduction.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

chris -- thank you. I am trying to put together a portfolio at the moment but I really want to shoot this series for a whole year and see where it goes.

Dan -- that is a great question. The answer is that I am shooting two different projects at the moment, and I like to keep my 7(!) Grafmatic backs locked and loaded with film, in the back of the truck so I can leap out when the light is right. I am quite capable of shooting all 7 backs in an afternoon if I get excited.

One of the projects is color and the other, this one, is mostly BW. I have been caught with the wrong film loaded so many times that I resolved to stick to a color neg so I could be ready for anything. I actually like the look of Portra NC converted to BW because it allows me to add fiilters in post-processing -- these were converted with a virtual yellow filter (ie Channel Mixer with 50%R 50%G 0%B) for example which brought down the values of the sky.

i'm with the rest of the guys, great work, keep at it. viva ugly! viva nothing!